1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about light emission.

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    In the Aharonov–Bohm effect when charged particles are deflected do they emit light?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They don't have to be deflected - at least not for the interesting part of the effect.

If charged particles are deflected, they emit electromagnetic waves. To get visible light, you need very high-energetic particles and special magnetic fields.

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3
    so I can get an electron to emit light even if its not in a B or E field.

5. Dec 9, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't believe so. I think MFB was referring to the fact that in the Aharonov-Bohm experiment the charged particles don't have to be deflected in order for the interference to be shifted. To get a charged particle to emit light you need to accelerate it somehow, such as with an electric or magnetic field. If there is no acceleration then there is no light emission.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook