Question about liquid expulsion from a spray bottle

In summary, the spray from the two bottles will be the same, regardless of how much liquid is in the smaller bottle.
LBrandt
Hello,

I’m new to this forum, and this may seem elementary, but I can’t be sure of my thinking on the subject, so I’ll post the question here.

The question concerns the following. I have two household spray bottles, each of the same size. Each has its hose down nearly to the bottom of the liquid. The only difference is that one bottle is almost full, and the other bottle has only a small portion of its liquid remaining, but in both bottles, the bottom of the hose easily reaches into the liquid. The bottom of the hose is at the same point in both bottles.

Question: Will there be any difference in the ease of spraying from the two bottles? Will the bottle with only a small amount of liquid result in the spray action being less effective? I realize that once the liquid in the smaller portion container drops below the bottom of the tube, no more spray will emanate from that bottle, but in the meantime, will there be any difference in the amount or velocity of the spray from the two bottles?

In other words, does the extra weight of the liquid in the bottle with more liquid assist in the process?

Thank you,
Louis

Physics news on Phys.org
I see the point you're driving at, but perhaps you'll have to rephrase it with a different example, the example of the spraybottle is null and void as you can see here

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question673.htm

the mechanism makes it pretty much independent of the water it's in all together.

Thanks for your reply. I read the reference that you cited, but I didn't see that the article made any reference to the amount of liquid having any effect, so I'm still not certain of whether it would make a difference.
Louis

Look at the diagram, it clearly shows that the spray bottle takes in water before you spray it, and keeps it in via a one-way system, so the only water it expels is water it had previously stored. The spray is only dependant on what's inside the cylinder chamber, not the actual bottle.

Yes, but how does it "take the water in"? Is it a siphon process, and cannot the weight of the additional water assist in allowing it to "take the water in" more easily? I'm just asking.
Louis

I'm not sure how much additional pressure above ambient you get from 15 or so centimeters of fluid. The main affect would be a slightly slower release rate of the trigger.

Note that in the past, crude atomizers or sprayers like a "flit gun", simply had a open ended tube perpendicular to an air flow (the other end in the fluid). The air flow is diverted away from the open end, creating a low pressure vortice. Somce carburetors also utilize variations of open tube perpendicular to flow as well as one or two venturi stages.

Example diagrams showing end of tube protuding into inner venturi stage, although the tube itself may be angled, the opening is angle cut so that it faces away from the air flow.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/articles/images/carbtheory/drawing2.gif

http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/pics/c/carb.gif

Last edited:

1. Why is liquid not coming out of my spray bottle?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure the bottle is not clogged. If it is, try cleaning the nozzle or using a pin to unclog it. Also, check to see if the bottle is properly pressurized. If not, try pumping the nozzle a few times to build up pressure. Another possibility is that the liquid has solidified or thickened, making it difficult to spray. In this case, try warming up the bottle in warm water or adding a small amount of water to thin out the liquid.

2. How do I adjust the spray pattern on my spray bottle?

Most spray bottles have an adjustable nozzle that can be turned to change the spray pattern. Look for an arrow or label on the nozzle to see which way to twist it for a wider or narrower spray. Some bottles also have a dial or switch on the nozzle that can be adjusted for different spray patterns.

3. Can I use any liquid in a spray bottle?

No, not all liquids are suitable for use in a spray bottle. Some liquids may clog the nozzle or cause damage to the bottle. It is best to only use liquids that are labeled for use in spray bottles or that have a similar consistency to water.

4. How do I clean a spray bottle?

To clean a spray bottle, first empty out any remaining liquid. Then, fill the bottle with warm water and a small amount of dish soap. Pump the nozzle a few times to circulate the soapy water through the bottle. Rinse the bottle with clean water and pump the nozzle again to remove any soap residue. Finally, let the bottle air dry before using it again.

5. Can I refill a spray bottle with a different type of liquid?

Yes, you can refill a spray bottle with a different type of liquid as long as it is compatible with the bottle and nozzle. Make sure to thoroughly clean the bottle before refilling it with a different liquid to prevent any chemical reactions or clogs. Also, be aware that some liquids may leave residue or stains on the bottle, so it is best to use a dedicated bottle for each type of liquid.