1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Matrix Linear Transformation

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    i'm studying for my midterm and i'm stumped on this section about Lienar Transformations...hope u guys can help

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

question goes something like this
    1) Find the standard matrix for the linear operator define by the equations (which is easy)
    and then determine wheter the operator is one-to-one and or onto

example question is

2) Show that the range of the linear operator defined by the equations
    is not all of R^2, and find a vector that's not in the range.

3. The attempt at a solution

1) so the standard matrix is

[-1 3 2]
    [2 0 4]
    [1 3 6]

now how do i tell if its 1-1 and/or onto?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2
    Put the matrix into reduced row echelon form. If every row has a pivot, then the vectors are a basis for the codomain and the transformation is onto. The transformation is one-to-one if all the vectors are linearly independent. Since this is a 3x3 matrix, either the function will be both one-to-one and onto, or the transformation will be neither.
  4. Nov 14, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A linear transformation is one-to-one and onto if and only if it has an inverse linear transformation. When it is written as a matrix, this is true if and only if the determinant of the matrix is not 0.
  5. Nov 17, 2007 #4
    Also, since it is an operator on R^3 it's injective and onto iff the null space is trivial

for a linear operator A the following are equivalent: A is invertible, A is injective, A is onto

since it is an operator you need only consider if the null space is trivial, since if it is trivial it is injective and hence bijective, if it is not then it is neither injective nor onto
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?