Question about maximum Kinetic Energy? KE & Work problem?

In summary, the maximum kinetic energy of the block between x = 0 and x = 2.0 m is at x = 1.6 m, where the force applied to the block changes from pushing to pulling. This is because the derivative of kinetic energy is the same as the force applied, and the force becomes negative after x = 1.6 m, reducing the kinetic energy of the block.
nchin
Question about maximum Kinetic Energy?? KE & Work problem??

A 1.5 kg block is initially at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface when a horizontal force along an x-axis
is applied to the block. The force is given by F(x) = (2.5 - x^(2))i N, where x is in meters and the initial position of the
block is x = 0.

a) What is the kinetic energy of the block as it passes through x = 2.0 m ?

b) What is the maximum kinetic energy of the block between x = 0 and x = 2.0 m ?

I understand how to solve a but its part b that confuses me.

Solution Guide states:
"KE is maximized when F = 0.
F = 0 when 2.5 - x^(2) = 0
x = √ 2.5 = 1.6 m
Thus KE is maximized at x = 1.6 m "

But why is KE maximized when F = 0?? Someone please explain to me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

nchin said:
b) What is the maximum kinetic energy of the block between x = 0 and x = 2.0 m ?

But why is KE maximized when F = 0??

So I assume you did (a) by integrating F(x) over [0,2]. This should give you the intuition that [itex] Work = \int F(x) = \Delta KE = KE [/itex]

Now to find a maximum, you simply need to take the derivative and set = to 0. If take the derivative of KE, we're back to F(x)!

You'll notice that when x > 1.6, F(x) is negative. This means that once we're past x=1.6, the force becomes negative, or starts pulling instead of pushing. Of course, this subtracts from the KE of the block. In short, the maximum KE occurs at the instant the force goes from positive to negative.

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating maximum kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

2. How is maximum kinetic energy related to work?

Maximum kinetic energy is related to work through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that if work is done on an object, its kinetic energy will increase.

3. Can maximum kinetic energy be negative?

No, maximum kinetic energy cannot be negative. Kinetic energy is always a positive value, as it represents the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

4. How does mass affect maximum kinetic energy?

The mass of an object directly affects its maximum kinetic energy. As the mass increases, the maximum kinetic energy also increases, as shown in the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. This means that a heavier object moving at the same velocity will have a greater maximum kinetic energy than a lighter object.

5. How does velocity affect maximum kinetic energy?

The velocity of an object has a direct and significant impact on its maximum kinetic energy. As the velocity increases, the maximum kinetic energy will also increase, as shown in the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. This means that a faster-moving object will have a greater maximum kinetic energy than a slower-moving object of the same mass.