Question about mechanical energy and orbits

In summary, the conversation revolves around the formula for Mechanical Energy, which is calculated by adding Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy. The confusion arises because the lecturer wrote ME = 1/2*mv^2 - mMG/r, instead of ME = 1/2*mv^2 + mMG/r. It is explained that this is due to the convention of taking Potential Energy as negative. The conversation also clarifies that both Kinetic and Potential Energy are not vectors, but rather values.
nhmllr
I was watching something on elliptical orbits. Early on, I saw something that really bugged me and I can't continue until I figure out what it's about:
Mechanical Energy = Kinetic Energy + Potential Energy
I know that KE = 1/2*mv^2, which makes sense and I know why
I know that PE = mgh = mMG/r, which makes sense and I know why
So why did the lecturer write
ME = 1/2*mv^2 - mMG/r
?
Shouldn't it be a +?

Physics news on Phys.org
nhmllr said:
I was watching something on elliptical orbits. Early on, I saw something that really bugged me and I can't continue until I figure out what it's about:
Mechanical Energy = Kinetic Energy + Potential Energy
I know that KE = 1/2*mv^2, which makes sense and I know why
I know that PE = mgh = mMG/r, which makes sense and I know why
So why did the lecturer write
ME = 1/2*mv^2 - mMG/r
?
Shouldn't it be a +?

Potential energy is usually taken to be negative by convention, this is because you need to do work on an object in a gravitational field to move it against the field.

Vagn said:
Potential energy is usually taken to be negative by convention, this is because you need to do work on an object in a gravitational field to move it against the field.

But then ME would not stay the same if it was a minus sign. m, M, G, and r are all ≥ 0, so it does stay negative.

PE = -mMG/r
This is the actual equation, you seemed to have missed the minus sign. The way I remember it is that in a gravitational potential, the object is in a potential well, and the top of the well is at r=infinity, where the potential is zero.

Hi !
You can actually derive the form of the potential energy going out from its definition.
Place a corpse of mass M in a polar coordinate system, for simplicity's sake, and look at the gravitationnal force F(r) acting on a mass m.

Then, W(r) = [tex] - \int \limits_{\infty}^{r} \vec{F(r)}\cdot\vec{dr} [/tex]
That's the definition, and if you're careful with the scalar product, you'll see that what comes out is [tex] W(r) = -\frac{GMm}{r} [/tex]

The sign difference with the usual W(h) = mgh comes from the fact that the zero of the potential is set at h = 0 in this case. In the case of the above problem, W(r) = 0 iff r tends to infinity. Inversely, at r = 0, the potential is - infinity, while it is infinity at h = infinity.

Setting the 0 of the potential at 0 or infinity implies a change of signs. (be careful, this is not a very accurate statement ;) )

The potential energy increases when you move further away from the central mass. That is consistent with the approximation that potential energy = mgh close to the surface of the earth.

When you increase r, the value of mMG/r decreases, so you need a minus sign.

It doesn't matter at what position you take the potential energy to be 0. For "mgh", you take it as 0 at the Earth's surface (or whatever position you choose to measure h from). For -mMG/r, you take it as 0 when r is infinite, so the numerical value is always negative.

Thanks guys, I understand the minus now!
What I do not understand is that the kinetic energy is always positive. (The v^2 takes care of that) If the object's velocity is going up OR down, it is positive. So if I throw an object in the air, as it goes up the total mechanical energy would be the vector of KE + vector of PE
But when the object comes down, the KE vector should be pointing down, but the PE vector is still pointing down, so I do not see how the mechanical energy is conserved.

Kinetic and potential energy are not vectors. They are simply values. Just add them together (remembering the minus sign) and you'll get the right answer.
Think of it this way: when you throw the object up, its KE is positive and PE is negative.
Then when the object comes back down, its KE is positive and PE is negative. So when it gets back to the same height, it has the same KE and PE, but it is moving in the opposite direction to when you threw it.

BruceW said:
Kinetic and potential energy are not vectors. They are simply values. Just add them together (remembering the minus sign) and you'll get the right answer.
Think of it this way: when you throw the object up, its KE is positive and PE is negative.
Then when the object comes back down, its KE is positive and PE is negative. So when it gets back to the same height, it has the same KE and PE, but it is moving in the opposite direction to when you threw it.

They're not vector!? But aren't they exerting energy in a direction? Something speeding to right can make other things speeding to the right go faster, and things going to the left go slower, and when it speeds to the left, it slows down things going to right, and speeds things going to left. It seems as though the direction matters!

No, energy does not have a direction associated with it and is not a vector. Force is exerted in a direction, but not energy.

If something has a kinetic energy of 100 Joules, that is it's kinetic energy whether it is moving up, down, sideways, or in any other direction.

No, neither kinetic nor potential energy are vectors.
For example, if the velocity of an object was given as:
[tex] \underline{v} = 3 \hat{i} + 6 \hat{j} + 2 \hat{k} [/tex]
(where the i,j,k represent the right, forwards and up directions).
Then the Kinetic energy would be:
[tex] \frac{1}{2} m ( 3^2 + 6^2 + 2^2 ) [/tex]
which is not a vector

Did my latex work?

BruceW said:
No, neither kinetic nor potential energy are vectors.
For example, if the velocity of an object was given as:
[tex] \underline{v} = 3 \hat{i} + 6 \hat{j} + 2 \hat{k} [/tex]
(where the i,j,k represent the right, forwards and up directions).
Then the Kinetic energy would be:
[tex] \frac{1}{2} m ( 3^2 + 6^2 + 2^2 ) [/tex]
which is not a vector

Did my latex work?

So you're saying that the units come off when you square, making it a scalar?
But why do the units come off anyway? I don't really see why it's a scalar, wouldn't it change if you rotate the system? How does v^2 change?

The i,j,k are unit vectors (symbols to represents right, forwards, up). They're not units as in m/s (just to make sure that's understood).
[tex] KE = \frac{1}{2} m \underline{v} \cdot \underline{v} [/tex]
So, v^2 is defined as the dot product of the velocity with itself (which is why the unit vectors i,j,k come off). When the system is rotated, v^2 doesn't change. This is a very important property of vectors.

nhmllr said:
So you're saying that the units come off when you square, making it a scalar?
But why do the units come off anyway? I don't really see why it's a scalar, wouldn't it change if you rotate the system? How does v^2 change?

No, the units get indeed squared.
In the SI, the unit of energy is the joule (J). It's worth [itex] \frac{ 1 kg m^2} { s^2 }[/itex]. And energy is not a vector as they explained to you.
[itex]\underbrace {\vec v }_{\text {vector} } \underbrace{ \cdot }_{\text {dot product} } \underbrace{ \vec v }_{\text { vector }} = \underbrace {v^2 }_{\text {scalar }}[/itex].

Hmm if latex is a little weird, [itex]\vec v \cdot \vec v = v^2[/itex].

Yeah, fluidistic, your latex looks weird on my computer...

To take Bruce's example more rigorously, [itex]\vec v =\frac { 3m}{s} \hat i +\frac {6m}{s} \hat j +\frac{2m}{s} \hat k[/itex].
If you do [itex]\vec v \cdot \vec v[/itex] you'll get [itex]\frac{9m^2}{s^2} + \frac{36 m^2}{s^2} + \frac{4 m^2}{s^2} =\frac {49m^2}{s^2}=v^2[/itex].
So that when you calculate the kinetic energy ([itex]\frac{m v^2}{2}[/itex]), you get units in joule as it should.

Attachments

• helping.jpg
    helping.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 432
Yes, true. I always got told off in school for forgetting to write the units.

fluidistic said:
To take Bruce's example more rigorously, [itex]\vec v =\frac { 3m}{s} \hat i +\frac {6m}{s} \hat j +\frac{2m}{s} \hat k[/itex].
If you do [itex]\vec v \cdot \vec v[/itex] you'll get [itex]\frac{9m^2}{s^2} + \frac{36 m^2}{s^2} + \frac{4 m^2}{s^2} =\frac {49m^2}{s^2}=v^2[/itex].
So that when you calculate the kinetic energy ([itex]\frac{m v^2}{2}[/itex]), you get units in joule as it should.

Ohhhh I see. That makes a ton of sense.
Thanks everybody for your help!

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy stored in an object's position or shape). It is a form of energy that can be converted into work.

2. How is mechanical energy related to orbits?

Mechanical energy is essential for maintaining an orbit. In an orbit, the gravitational potential energy of an object is converted into kinetic energy as it moves towards the center of the orbit, and then back into potential energy as it moves away. This continuous conversion of energy allows the object to maintain a stable orbit around a larger body, such as a planet or star.

3. Can mechanical energy change in an orbit?

Yes, mechanical energy can change in an orbit due to external forces such as atmospheric drag or gravitational pull from other objects. However, in a stable orbit, the total mechanical energy remains constant.

4. How does mechanical energy affect the speed of an orbiting object?

The speed of an orbiting object is directly affected by its mechanical energy. As the object's potential energy decreases, its kinetic energy and therefore its speed increase. This is why objects move faster in their orbits when they are closer to the center of the orbit.

5. What is the relationship between mechanical energy and the shape of an orbit?

The shape of an orbit is determined by the amount of mechanical energy an object has. A higher mechanical energy will result in a more elliptical orbit, while a lower energy will result in a more circular orbit. This is because a higher mechanical energy allows the object to travel further from the center of the orbit before its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a wider and more elongated orbit.