Question about Multiple Stream Mixings into Units

In summary, the conversation discusses a thermodynamic analysis involving a system with two streams entering a condenser and one leaving. The person is making assumptions about the pressure and the state of the exit stream, and they are also dealing with a feed-water heater and a two turbine system. They are struggling to balance the units due to the complexity of multiple streams entering. The conversation also mentions some known facts about mixing points and heat exchangers. Ultimately, the person is seeking tips or advice on how to properly balance the unit.
royblaze

Homework Statement

I'm currently doing some thermodynamic analysis. I don't know where to put this question, but here goes:

I have a system that has two streams entering a condenser, and one leaving. I don't know mostly anything about two of the streams.

One stream I have fully defined via other unit balances. I am making an assumption: all streams entering the condenser must be the same pressure, and as a result, so too must the exit stream. The exit stream is a saturated liquid, from the question.

I am making this same assumption on a feed-water heater, which has two streams in, and two streams out. One of the streams leaves as a saturated liquid to a throttler, whose exit stream goes back to the condenser.

The feed-water heater's other outlet stream goes to a boiler, and then to a two turbine system, where between the two turbines, one stream goes to the feed-water heater. The second turbine's outlet goes to the condenser.

I'm having a real tough time trying to balance the multi-stream units. This is an intro to thermodynamics class with one of the worst lecturers in history. We have learned how to balance units when one stream enters and then exits. We have not learned anything about units that have multiple streams entering.

So far, we have learned that mixing points are adiabatic with equal pressure inlets. We also know that heat exchangers (which I assume the condenser and feed-water heater are) do no work, and the enthalpy is equal to Q.

Could I just get a few tips/facts about how to go about this unit balance?

Here's a picture. See attached:

Attachments

• 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
I have solved the question after clarifying some assumptions that were not given to us.

1. What is the purpose of multiple stream mixings into units?

The purpose of multiple stream mixings into units is to combine different streams of materials or substances in order to achieve a specific desired outcome or product. This process is commonly used in various industries such as chemical manufacturing, food production, and wastewater treatment.

2. How does multiple stream mixing into units work?

Multiple stream mixing into units involves combining two or more streams of materials using various methods such as physical mixing, chemical reactions, or thermal processes. The streams are carefully controlled and monitored to ensure the desired outcome is achieved.

3. What are the benefits of multiple stream mixing into units?

The benefits of multiple stream mixing into units include increased efficiency and productivity, improved product quality and consistency, reduced waste and costs, and the ability to create new and innovative products by combining different materials.

4. What challenges are associated with multiple stream mixing into units?

Some challenges associated with multiple stream mixing into units include the need for precise control and monitoring, potential safety hazards from handling and mixing different substances, and the potential for equipment breakdowns or failures.

5. How is multiple stream mixing into units used in different industries?

Multiple stream mixing into units is used in a wide range of industries including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, oil and gas, water treatment, and agriculture. It is used to create various products such as medications, food additives, fuels, and fertilizers.