Question about non-relativistic limit of QFT

• Thread starter guillefix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Qft
In summary, the author claims that by taking the non-relativistic limit of the (complex?) scalar field Lagrangian, one can derive the Schrodinger Lagrangian.
guillefix
In pages 41-42 of these notes: http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/two.pdf , it is said that [itex]|\vec{p}|\ll m[/itex] implies [itex]|\ddot{\tilde{\phi}}|\ll m|\dot{\tilde{\phi}}|[/itex]

Why is this so?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a plane-wave solution of the KG equation,
[tex]\phi=\exp(i\vec p\cdot\vec x - i E t)[/tex]
where
[tex] E =\sqrt{\vec p^2+m^2}[/tex]
Now assume ##|\vec p|\ll m##. Then we have
[tex] E \simeq m + {\vec p^2\over 2m}[/tex]
and the solution can be written as
[tex]\phi=\exp(-imt)\tilde\phi[/tex]
where
[tex]\tilde\phi=\exp\bigl[i\vec p\cdot\vec x - i(\vec p^2\!/2m)t\bigr][/tex]
Now we can check that
[tex]\left|\ddot{\tilde\phi}\right|\ll m\left|\dot{\tilde\phi}\right|[/tex]
as claimed. This will also apply to superpositions of different plane waves, provided that only plane waves with ##|\vec p|\ll m## are included in the superposition.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, and another question

Thanks for that! I've got another question though. In the same document, a bit later, he says that one can also derive the Schrodinger Lagrangian by taking the non-relativistic limit of the (complex?) scalar field Lagrangian. And for that he uses the condition [itex]\partial_{t} \Psi \ll m \Psi[/itex], which in fact I suppose he means [itex]|\partial_{t} \tilde{\Psi}| \ll |m \tilde{\Psi}|[/itex], otherwise I don't get it. In any case, starting with the Lagrangian:

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\partial^{\mu}\tilde{\psi} \partial_{\mu} \tilde{\psi}^{*} -m^{2}\tilde{\psi}\tilde{\psi}^{*}[/itex]

Using the inequationI think it's correct, I can only get to:

[itex]\mathcal{L}=-\nabla\tilde{\psi} \nabla \tilde{\psi}^{*} -m^{2}\tilde{\psi}\tilde{\psi}^{*}[/itex]

And from that I've tried relating [itex]\tilde{\psi}[/itex] or [itex]\psi[/itex] (as we can write the above Lagrangian with both, as it's invariant under multiplying by a pure phase), to [itex]\dot{\psi}[/itex]

Last edited:
Yes, start with the lagrangian for a complex field,
[tex]{\cal L}=\partial^\mu\psi^*\partial_\mu\psi-m^2\psi^*\psi[/tex] Let
[tex]\psi=e^{-imt}\tilde\psi[/tex] Then we have
[tex]\partial_t\psi=e^{-imt}(-im\tilde\psi+\partial_t\tilde\psi) \quad\hbox{and}\quad \partial_t\psi^*=e^{+imt}(+im\tilde\psi^*+\partial_t\tilde\psi^*)[/tex] Multiply these together, and drop the [itex]\partial_t\tilde\psi^*\partial_t\tilde\psi[/itex] term as "small", but do not drop the cross terms. If you like, then integrate by parts to move the time derivative off [itex]\tilde\psi^*[/itex] and onto [itex]\tilde\psi[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is the non-relativistic limit of QFT?

The non-relativistic limit of QFT is the approximation of quantum field theory in the limit where the particle speeds are much lower than the speed of light. This limit is often used in situations where relativistic effects are not significant, such as in condensed matter physics or atomic physics.

2. How is the non-relativistic limit different from the general QFT framework?

In general QFT, particles are described as excitations of quantum fields that obey relativistic principles. In the non-relativistic limit, these principles are relaxed and the fields are described by non-relativistic equations, such as the Schrodinger equation. This results in a simpler and more intuitive description of the system.

3. What are the key assumptions made in the non-relativistic limit of QFT?

The non-relativistic limit assumes that the particles are moving at non-relativistic speeds, the fields are weak, and the interactions between particles are short-ranged. Additionally, it assumes that the system can be described by non-relativistic equations, such as the Schrodinger equation, instead of the more complex equations used in general QFT.

4. Can the non-relativistic limit of QFT be applied to all systems?

No, the non-relativistic limit of QFT is most applicable to systems involving low-speed particles, weak fields, and short-ranged interactions. It is not suitable for describing high-energy particles or systems with strong interactions, such as those found in particle accelerators.

5. How does the non-relativistic limit of QFT relate to other approximations, such as the classical limit?

The non-relativistic limit of QFT is a more refined and accurate approximation compared to the classical limit, which neglects quantum effects altogether. In the non-relativistic limit, quantum effects are still taken into account, but relativistic effects are neglected. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system's behavior.