Using Op-Amp as Adder for Rock Stage Light System

• Thread starter Rainier9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, using an Op-Amp as an adder allows for multiple inputs to be added together, resulting in a single output. This is useful for controlling the intensity and color of multiple lights in a rock stage light system, allowing for more precise and coordinated changes in the lighting. Any Op-Amp with multiple inputs and a single output can be used as an adder for a rock stage light system, but it is important to choose one with the appropriate specifications and capabilities. There are limitations to using an Op-Amp as an adder, such as the input signals needing to be within the operating range and the output voltage being limited. However, the advantages of using an Op-Amp adder include its simplicity, cost-effectiveness,
Rainier9
Hi again, I have a little question about op amps and using them as ''Adders''.

I currently study EE and Communications Engineering but our class still hasnt gone to the point of op amps. We will get there by the end of this semester. But we are asked to do a projects about everything we've learned in the past classes. My idea for the project is rock stage/platform light system.

The project will have many modules but one of them is a VU-meter. The issue is that rock bands usually have at least 5 active instruments at once, and I need a single VU meter.

Can I add the 5 signals using an OP AMP and then inserting the sum'ed signal to the VU-Meter IC?

Keep in mind that i don't want to use the mixed signal to listen to the music, I just want it to go to the VU meter.

Im using a LM3914 Driver for the VU meter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rainier9 said:
Hi again, I have a little question about op amps and using them as ''Adders''.

I currently study EE and Communications Engineering but our class still hasnt gone to the point of op amps. We will get there by the end of this semester. But we are asked to do a projects about everything we've learned in the past classes. My idea for the project is rock stage/platform light system.

The project will have many modules but one of them is a VU-meter. The issue is that rock bands usually have at least 5 active instruments at once, and I need a single VU meter.

Can I add the 5 signals using an OP AMP and then inserting the sum'ed signal to the VU-Meter IC?

Keep in mind that i don't want to use the mixed signal to listen to the music, I just want it to go to the VU meter.

Im using a LM3914 Driver for the VU meter.

Sounds like a fun project. One way to look for circuits is to use Google Images. Go to Google Images, and search on opamp adder. You will see that indeed the circuit you want is very do-able.

You will want to rectify the input signals first, to give you DC-like signals to add. You will also want to figure out how fast you want your VU meter to respond, and tune your input rectifier circuits to that bandwidth. So you are rectifying the audio (20Hz-20kHz or so) and making a DC-like signal that has, say, a 5Hz bandwidth or so to feed into the adder stage.

Thanks for your feedback, but woudlnt rectifying the signal making it impossible for the VU meter to drive the LEDS as it would be a constant current?

I don't want to have a LED of the VU meter to represent an instrument. I just want the VU meter to be able to function properly independent of the number of instruments.

Rainier9 said:
Thanks for your feedback, but woudlnt rectifying the signal making it impossible for the VU meter to drive the LEDS as it would be a constant current?

I don't want to have a LED of the VU meter to represent an instrument. I just want the VU meter to be able to function properly independent of the number of instruments.

That's where the "bandwidth" of the displayed signal comes in. How fast do you want the VU meter to be able to move? The human eye can't see movements that are too fast, so that's why I was picking a ballpark of, say, 5-10Hz.

The "rectification" would have a resistor in parallel with the smoothing cap, to bleed off the charge at that 5-10Hz rate. (For each channel that you are conditioning before the adder).

Oh, I get what you mean now. Thanks a lot for clarifying.

Thanks for everyone's help. We finished the project in early may of the year, I thought some of you may want to see the end results, so here's a quick video!

The VU meters are the lights at the sides and the top. The other lights are activated by movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rainier9 said:
Thanks for everyone's help. We finished the project in early may of the year, I thought some of you may want to see the end results, so here's a quick video!

The VU meters are the lights at the sides and the top. The other lights are activated by movement.

Looks impressive.

What's a VU-meter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks xD
It's a Volume Unit meter. It displays the intensity of the sound.

Related to Using Op-Amp as Adder for Rock Stage Light System

1. How does using an Op-Amp as an adder improve the functionality of a rock stage light system?

Using an Op-Amp as an adder allows for multiple inputs to be added together, resulting in a single output. This is useful for controlling the intensity and color of multiple lights in a rock stage light system, as it allows for more precise and coordinated changes in the lighting.

2. Can any Op-Amp be used as an adder for a rock stage light system?

Yes, any Op-Amp with multiple inputs and a single output can be used as an adder for a rock stage light system. However, it is important to choose an Op-Amp with the appropriate specifications and capabilities for the specific needs of the system.

3. Are there any limitations to using an Op-Amp as an adder for a rock stage light system?

One limitation is that the input signals must be within the operating range of the Op-Amp. Additionally, the Op-Amp's output voltage may be limited, so it is important to choose an Op-Amp with a suitable voltage range for the desired lighting effects.

4. What are the advantages of using an Op-Amp as an adder compared to other methods?

An Op-Amp adder is a simple and cost-effective solution for controlling multiple lights in a rock stage light system. It also allows for precise adjustments and can easily be integrated with other electronic components.

5. How can I ensure the stability and reliability of an Op-Amp adder in a rock stage light system?

To ensure stability and reliability, it is important to choose a high-quality Op-Amp and properly design the circuit with appropriate components and wiring. It is also recommended to regularly check and maintain the system to prevent any issues from arising.