Question about partial derivatives with three unknown

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression for (∂x/∂u) in the function z=f(x,y) with u= x^2 -y^2 and v=xy, and how it can be used to calculate ∂z/∂u. The question of what to keep constant in order to find (∂x/∂u) is raised, and the idea of expressing x as a function of u and v is suggested. Eventually, it is determined that the expression for (∂x/∂u) is (x/2)/(x^2+y^2), and the conversation concludes with a thank you for the assistance.
Outrageous

Homework Statement

If z=f(x,y) with u= x^2 -y^2 and v=xy , find the expression for (∂x/∂u).
the (∂x/∂u) will be used to calsulate ∂z/∂u.
my question is how to find (∂x/∂u).
I don't know what to keep constant. Maybe the question has some problem.
The answer is (∂x/∂u)=(x/2)/(x^2+y^2).
Can you please guide me .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I use u= x^2 -y^2, keep y constant , then get du/dx=2x , then 1/(du/dx)
or keep y constant, then x=√(u+y^2), get dx/du= 1/2x?

Or I should not keep anything constant? or the question is wrong?

really thank

Physics news on Phys.org
##u=x^2-y^2 \Rightarrow x^2 = u+y^2 \\ \Rightarrow \frac{\partial}{\partial u}(x^2 = u+y^2)=\cdots## ... that help?

Simon Bridge said:
##u=x^2-y^2 \Rightarrow x^2 = u+y^2 \\ \Rightarrow \frac{\partial}{\partial u}(x^2 = u+y^2)=\cdots## ... that help?

keep y constant?? if so the answer is 1/2x also.
if not keeping y constant ...
I really don't know how to get this (∂x/∂u)=(x/2)/(x^2+y^2).

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial u}(x^2 = u+y^2)= \frac{\partial}{\partial u}x^2= 1 + \frac{\partial}{\partial u}y^2$$ ... should you keep y constant?
I think that's what you need to decide - is it ##x(y,u)=u+y(x,u)##?
Definition of the partial derivative?

Simon Bridge said:
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial u}(x^2 = u+y^2)= \frac{\partial}{\partial u}x^2= 1 + \frac{\partial}{\partial u}y^2$$ ... should you keep y constant?
I think that's what you need to decide - is it ##x(y,u)=u+y(x,u)##?
Definition of the partial derivative?

Quote from wolfram math world:
Partial derivatives are defined as derivatives of a function of multiple variables when all but the variable of interest are held fixed during the differentiation.
∂y/∂u , y=f(u,x), since u varies here, so y will vary. Can you please guide how should I calculate ∂y/∂u?
Thank you.

$$u=x^2-y^2$$ ... and you want to show that $$\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}=\frac{x}{2(x^2+y^2)}$$... is that correct?

Simon Bridge said:
$$u=x^2-y^2$$ ... and you want to show that $$\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}=\frac{x}{2(x^2+y^2)}$$... is that correct?

Yup, please

Normally when you have y=f(x) then dx/dy = 1/(dy/dx)
Does this work for partials?

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}u(x,y) \Rightarrow \left . \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right |_y$$

If you consider x to be a function of u and y, then the partial - holding y constant - cannot come out the way you want.

There is a lot more information about the problem that is not provided.

Simon Bridge said:
Normally when you have y=f(x) then dx/dy = 1/(dy/dx)
Does this work for partials?

This only applies to partial , is not? I learned that from thermo.

Simon Bridge said:
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}u(x,y) \Rightarrow \left . \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right |_y$$

If you consider x to be a function of u and y, then the partial - holding y constant - cannot come out the way you want.

There is a lot more information about the problem that is not provided.

If the question says find (∂x/∂u) keeping y constant , then we can use du/dx = 1/(dx/du) to get the answer without care about y=f(u,x) because u depends on x and y , but x and y are independent. the question no need to give us a equation of y in term of x to calculate dy/dx.
Is that correct?

Here is the therma's proof

Attachments

• thermo 00.pdf
    525.3 KB · Views: 230
That's the idea ... $$\left . \frac{\partial x}{\partial u}\right |_y = \left ( \left . \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right |_y \right )^{-1}$$ ... works because the same variable is being held constant.

However: $$u=x^2-y^2 \Rightarrow \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = 2x$$... like you already noticed but this does not give you what you need.

It follows that there is something else going on.

Simon Bridge said:
It follows that there is something else going on.
Is the question not complete, it should be (∂x/∂u) keeping v constant.
Thank for wasting so much time on me. Really sorry.

You said, post #1, you didn't know what to keep constant.
If z=f(x,y) with u= x^2 -y^2 and v=xy , find the expression for (∂x/∂u).
the (∂x/∂u) will be used to calsulate ∂z/∂u.
my question is how to find (∂x/∂u).
I don't know what to keep constant. Maybe the question has some problem.
The answer is (∂x/∂u)=(x/2)/(x^2+y^2).
Can you please guide me .
... nothing there about keeping v constant - I wondered why it was relevant.

Ideally you want to express x as a function of u and v then.
Maybe express u as a function of x and v and evaluate du/dx|v and invert it.

Simon Bridge said:
Maybe express u as a function of x and v and evaluate du/dx|v and invert it.

Yup ,can get answer from that. Thank you.

Well done - sometimes you don't see what's there until you have to talk about it to someone else :)

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by the symbol ∂ and is used in multivariable calculus.

2. How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables, while treating the other variables as constants. This can be done using the standard derivative rules, such as the power rule and chain rule.

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to analyze how a function changes when only one of its variables changes, while holding the other variables constant. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where finding the maximum or minimum of a function is desired.

4. Can a function have more than one partial derivative?

Yes, a function with multiple variables can have multiple partial derivatives. Each partial derivative represents the rate of change of the function with respect to one of its variables.

5. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives have many practical applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. They are used to analyze and optimize complex systems, such as in risk management and financial modeling in economics, or in calculating forces and motion in physics and engineering.