1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about semi-major axis of an ellipse

1. Jul 3, 2010 #1
    I hope this the right place to post my question...

2.jpg

1-2.jpg

should it be, "we can define a as half the sum of distances......"?
    please correct and explain if I'm mistaken
    thanks

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You are mistaken.

When [itex]\theta= \theta'[/itex], [itex]1/r= C(1- \epsilon cos(\theta- \theta')=[/itex][itex] C(1- \epsilon cos(0))=[/itex][itex] C(1- \epsilon)[/itex] so that [itex]r= 1/(C(1-\epsilon)[/itex].

When [itex]\theta= \theta'+ \pi[/itex], [itex]1/r= C(1+\epsilon cos(\theta- \theta- \pi)=[/itex][itex] C(1- \epsilon cos(\pi))=[/itex][itex] C(1+ \epsilon)[/itex] so that [itex]r= 1/(C(1+\epsilon)[/itex].

The total distance between those points is [itex]1/C(1+\epsilon)+[/itex][itex] 1/C(1- \epsilon)[/itex][itex]= (1/C)(1/(1+\epsilon)+ 1/(1- \epsilon))[/itex]. Getting the common denominator, [itex](1+\epsilon)(1-\epsilon)= 1-\epsilon^2[/itex], we have
    [tex](1/C)\frac{1- \epsilon+ 1+ \epsilon}{1- \epsilon^2}= (1/C)\frac{2}{1- \epsilon^2}[/tex]

Half of that is
    [tex]a= \frac{1}{C(1- \epsilon^2)}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  4. Aug 11, 2010 #3
    and that's what I've said :confused:
    thank you

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook