Question about ellipse and chord

In summary, the conversation revolved around drawing an oval using the ellipse tool of a vector-based drawing program with specific dimensions and a perpendicular chord. The question was how to calculate the distance from the chord to the end of the ellipse. It was suggested to determine the equation of the ellipse and use that to find the coordinates of the endpoints of the chord. Additionally, the conversation touched on the concept of conic sections and how they are formed by slicing a cone at different angles. The blog mentioned also provided a helpful diagram for reference.
zyxwv99
I drew an oval using the ellipse tool of a vector-based drawing program. It's 23.5 mm wide and 21.5 mm high. There is a chord 15 mm long perpendicular to the minor axis. So the question is, how do I calculate the distance from the chord to the end of the ellipse (i.e., the end of the major axis).

(By the way, I've been wracking by brains trying to figure out an oval that's just a stretch-out circle could be a conic section. The best I can figure is a cone with an extremely small angle, cut diagonally many miles from the apex.)

http://lightcolorvision.wordpress.com/
(There a diagram near the top of this blog, entitled "Need help on this problem.")

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zyxwv99 said:
I drew an oval using the ellipse tool of a vector-based drawing program. It's 23.5 mm wide and 21.5 mm high. There is a chord 15 mm long perpendicular to the minor axis.
In the drawing at the blog entry, the chord is actually perpendicular to the major axis.
zyxwv99 said:
So the question is, how do I calculate the distance from the chord to the end of the ellipse (i.e., the end of the major axis).
What I would do is figure out the equation of the ellipse, and then determine the coordinates on the ellipse of the endpoints of the chord, given that the distance involved is 15. Once you have the x coordinate of the endpoints, it's a simple matter to figure out the distance from the chord to the right vertex of the ellipse.
zyxwv99 said:
(By the way, I've been wracking by brains trying to figure out an oval that's just a stretch-out circle could be a conic section. The best I can figure is a cone with an extremely small angle, cut diagonally many miles from the apex.)
All of the conic sections arise from making slices in a cone, which by the mathematics definition, is in two parts - an upper cone portion and a lower cone portion. Away from mathematics, most people call one of these sections a "cone."

If you slice the cone perpendicular to the axis of the cone, you get a circle. If you tilt the angle at which you make the slice just a bit, you get an ellipse. Different angles generate ellipses with different major axes. If you slice the cone so that the plane of the slice is parallel to the opposite side, you get a parabola. Vertical slice, you get the two "sheets" of a hyperbola.
zyxwv99 said:
http://lightcolorvision.wordpress.com/
(There a diagram near the top of this blog, entitled "Need help on this problem.")

Thanks, Mark44. With your help I was able to figure it out.

1. What is an ellipse and how is it different from a circle?

An ellipse is a closed curve that is formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane. It has two focal points, and the sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to these focal points is constant. A circle is a special case of an ellipse where the two focal points coincide, making the distance between them zero.

2. What is a chord of an ellipse?

A chord of an ellipse is a straight line segment that connects two points on the ellipse. It passes through the center of the ellipse and is the longest possible line segment that can be drawn within the ellipse.

3. How is the length of a chord of an ellipse calculated?

The length of a chord of an ellipse can be calculated using the formula L = 2a√(1-(e^2)(cosθ)^2), where L is the length of the chord, a is the semi-major axis of the ellipse, e is the eccentricity of the ellipse, and θ is the angle between the focal point and the point on the ellipse where the chord intersects.

4. Can a chord of an ellipse be longer than the major axis?

Yes, a chord of an ellipse can be longer than the major axis. This can happen when the chord is drawn at an angle that is not perpendicular to the major axis and passes through the focal points of the ellipse.

5. How is the slope of a chord of an ellipse calculated?

The slope of a chord of an ellipse can be calculated using the formula m = (-b/a)√(a^2-(x-c)^2), where m is the slope of the chord, a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse respectively, c is the distance from the center of the ellipse to the focal point, and x is the x-coordinate of the point where the chord intersects the ellipse.