Semi major and minor axis of polarization ellipse

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
henil
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
how can he we derive equations for semi major and minor axes of the polarization ellipse?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Use these equations
6YrzuF7.jpg

to derive this equations
T7YUkpL.jpg

I just thought of one delta as dy-dx so only one of the first 2 equations actually has a delta in it
Rearranged one of the first equations, the one that no longer has a delta in it, for Ex/Ax=cos(wt-kz)

I then used a few trig identities on the second equation
oqrQ6j7.jpg
SKSqITC.jpg

squared the result then substituted the rearranged equation 1 into the cos(wt-kz) spot and the cos2(wt-kz) spot to get equation 3

Now to derive these equations from the result which are the semi major axis and semi minor axis
5dFsnjb.jpg

just use a rotation martix
3UDrLYX.jpg

where x'=a, y'=b, x=Ax, y=Ay and square each component

This is where I am stuck as I do not have the cos(delta) in the final answer so anyone that knows better can help you (and me) with the correct answer
 
Attachments
  • 6YrzuF7.jpg
    6YrzuF7.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 528
  • T7YUkpL.jpg
    T7YUkpL.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 523
  • oqrQ6j7.jpg
    oqrQ6j7.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 563
  • SKSqITC.jpg
    SKSqITC.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 538
  • 5dFsnjb.jpg
    5dFsnjb.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 516
  • 3UDrLYX.jpg
    3UDrLYX.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 502