Question about simultaneous measurement

In summary, measuring the spin state of a particle along all three axes simultaneously is not possible due to the limitations of current technology and the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics. It is not possible to have a single state that is an eigenstate of both the x and y spin operators.
Mr J
Greetings - I have a question about observables and Quantum Mechanics.

Let's say I want to measure the spin state of a particle.
If I measure σZ (sigma Z), I will get either +1 or -1. That will then prepare the spin state accordingly.
If I measure σX (sigma X), I will get either +1 or -1. That will then prepare the spin state accordingly.
If I measure σY (sigma Y), I will get either +1 or -1. That will then prepare the spin state accordingly.

What if I measure all three axes simultaneously? Won't that then give me three different resultant spin states, when there can only be one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr J said:
What if I measure all three axes simultaneously?
You can't. Two ways of seeing this:
1) Try to imagine the measuring device that would do this... We measure spin in a given direction by passing the particle through an inhomogeneous magnetic field oriented in that direction. To measure the spin in both the x and y directions we'd need a magnetic field that was oriented in both the x and y directions, but the way magnetic fields add there's no such thing. If we try to combine an x-measuring field and a y-measuring field, we end up with a single field oriented in some third direction and we'll be making a single measurement in that third direction, not a simultaneous x and y measurement.
2) Look at the mathematical formalism. A measurement of spin in the x direction corresponds to projecting the state vector onto the x-axis in the Hilbert space; a measurement of the spin in the y direction corresponds to projecting the state vector onto the y axis, and clearly we can't do both at once. Another way of thinking about it: a simultaneous measurement on the x and y axes would yield a state that is an eigenstate of both the ##S_x## and the ##S_y## operators - and there is no such state.

Likes bhobba, msumm21, troglodyte and 3 others

1. Can multiple measurements be taken at the same time?

Yes, simultaneous measurement involves taking multiple measurements at the same time. This can be achieved through various techniques and technologies, such as using multiple sensors or instruments.

2. What are the advantages of simultaneous measurement?

Simultaneous measurement allows for more efficient and accurate data collection, as it eliminates the need for repeated measurements. It also allows for the observation of correlations and relationships between different variables.

3. Are there any limitations to simultaneous measurement?

One limitation of simultaneous measurement is the potential for interference between the different measurements being taken. This can be mitigated through careful design and calibration of the measurement setup.

4. How is simultaneous measurement used in scientific research?

Simultaneous measurement is commonly used in scientific research to study complex systems and phenomena. It allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the relationships and interactions between different variables.

5. What are some common techniques for simultaneous measurement?

Some common techniques for simultaneous measurement include using multiple sensors or instruments, time-division multiplexing, and frequency-division multiplexing. Each technique has its own advantages and is chosen based on the specific needs of the measurement.