1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about spherically symmetric charged objects

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I would like to ask a question about spherically symmetric charged objects. My teacher told me that you can treat spherically symmetric charged objects at point charges. However, my teacher did not prove it. I guess you have to integrate every small volume on the spherically symmetric charge and find its contribution to the force, but I am not sure how to do that.

Therefore, does anyone know how to prove that, given a spherically symmetric object of radius R and charge density rho, if I place a test charge q x metres away from the centre of the charge, the force experienced by the test charge is k*(4/3*pi*R^2*rho)*q/R^2, where k is 1/(4*pi*epilson-nought).

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming you are only interested in points outside the sphere, then your teacher is correct.

To show it, just use Gauss' Law....can you think of a Gaussian surface that will allow you to pull |E| outside of the integral?

4. Sep 10, 2009 #3
    Oh right!

I think you mean integral(E dA) = Q/epilson-nought.

If my imaginary surface is a sphere, then I can use symmetry arguments to say that E is constant, so I can pull E out.

E*integral (dA) = Q/epilson-nought

If I take the imaginary sphere to have a radius x and has its centre at its origin, then the area of the imaginary surface is 4*pi*x^2. Thus:

E*4*pi*x^2 = Q/epilson-nought

E = Q/(4*pi*epilson-nought*x^2) = k*Q/(x^2)

So the force on a test charge q' is k*q*q'/(x^2).

Thanks a lot! :)

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4
    Is your spherically symmetric object a dielectric or a conductor? Is the charge density a surface charge density or volume charge density?

6. Sep 10, 2009 #5
    If I understand correctly, dielectric is an insulator, and yes, the object I am talking about is an insulator, because if it is a conductor, all the charges will accumulate on the surface.

EDIT: Can I know whether I should post such questions on this forum or on the homework forum? I have many more such questions

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook