Question about Stokes Theorem?

In summary, there are two different definitions of Stokes Theorem - one from UCBerkeley's Youtube series and one from an online textbook. Both definitions involve the curl of a function and an element of area, but the textbook also includes a normal vector. However, both definitions are equivalent and correct.
stratusfactio
So I'm self teaching myself Multivariable Calculus from UCBerkeley's Youtube series and an online textbook. I'm up to Stokes Theorem and I'm getting conflicting definitions.

UCBerkeley Youtube series says that Stokes Theorem is defined by:
[tex]\int {(Curl f)} {ds}[/tex]

And then the textbook says that Stokes Theorem is defined by:
[tex]\int {(Curl f)} {nd\theta} [/tex]

where n is the normal vector defined by:
[tex]{-frac{\partial}{\partial z} i − ∂z\∂y j + k}\{\over sqrt(1 +(∂z\∂x)^2+(∂z\∂y)^2)}[/tex]

So I would just like to know which is correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They're both correct. They're just different ways of writing the same thing.
[tex]\int_S (\nabla\times\mathbf{F})\cdot d\mathbf{S} = \int_S (\nabla\times \mathbf{F})\cdot \hat{\mathbf{n}}\,dS[/tex]
dS is an element of area. It's a vector with magnitude equal to the area dS and with direction normal to the surface. Some people like to pull the unit normal n out and write it explicitly, so you have dS = n dS.

What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the curl of that vector field around the boundary of that surface.

What is the significance of Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is important because it allows for the calculation of surface integrals using only the boundary of the surface, making it a useful tool in many applications such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

How is Stokes Theorem different from Green's Theorem?

While both theorems relate surface integrals to line integrals, Green's Theorem is only applicable to two-dimensional surfaces in the plane, while Stokes Theorem can be used for any three-dimensional surface. Additionally, Stokes Theorem involves the curl of a vector field, while Green's Theorem involves the partial derivatives of two scalar-valued functions.

What are the conditions for Stokes Theorem to be applicable?

In order for Stokes Theorem to be applicable, the surface must be smooth and orientable, the boundary of the surface must be a closed and piecewise-smooth curve, and the vector field must be continuously differentiable in the region bounded by the surface.

What are some real-world applications of Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics to calculate the circulation of a fluid around a closed boundary, and in electromagnetism to calculate the work done by an electric or magnetic field on a charged particle moving along a closed path.