Question about the comparative masses of Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in mass and charge between an electron and a proton or neutron, and whether there is a relationship between the two. It is mentioned that the charge of an electron is equal to that of a proton but the mass is much smaller, and the relationship between charge and magnetic field is also brought up. However, there is currently no accepted connection between mass and charge, and the presence of charge does not always imply a magnetic field. Additionally, it is noted that charge and spin can be fractionalized, making charge not an intrinsic property of magnetic spin.
minimal
Sorry if this is a really easy question, but in biology I don't normally deal with these matters, just confused about this.
Why is it that the mass of the electron is so much smaller than that of the proton or neutron, but the charge is similar to the proton (but opposite)? I'm assuming it has something to do with its rotation about the nucleus. Anyone care to shed a bit more light (and equations) on this?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Charge of electron is exactly -1, charge of proton is exactly +1. "Why is it that the mass of the electron is so much smaller than that of the proton or neutron" is impossible to answer. However, the nucleons (made up of quarks and gluons) are completely different things from electrons, which are "elementary".

Thanks for the response, but perhaps I should have rephrased. What I meant to imply with my question, is that I do not understand how a charge can be essentially equal, if masses are different? I always thought charge was related to mass. If that has nothing to do with it, then the assumption can be that it is just chance, and it would be weirder if they were the same mass.
What are the kind of criteria that influence charge, or is it only empirically determined, and as of now, the only criteria is the charge itself, and we have no way of further reducing it to some sort of principle?

There are no accepted connection between "mass" and "charge". For all we know, these can "fractionalize" the way we have seen occurring with charge and spin. So as of now, there's no answer to your question.

Zz.

Great, thanks for the reply. I'm assuming I'm in error about what I'm about to say but I'd like some clarification on it please...
So there is no official relationship between charge and mass. However, there is a relationship between charge and magnetic field. And magnetic fields contain energy, which is related to mass. Does it not follow that there is some (albeit complicated) relationship between mass and charge?

If the charge isn't moving, there's no magnetic field. So already it isn't automatic that the presence of charge implies magnetic field.

Secondly, if spin and charge can be fractionalized (see Luttinger Liquid), then charge isn't an intrinsic property of magnetic spin.

Zz.

Excellent, thanks.

1. What is the relative mass of a proton?

A proton has a relative mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit (amu) or 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms.

2. How does the mass of a neutron compare to a proton?

A neutron has a slightly higher mass than a proton, with a relative mass of approximately 1.008 amu or 1.68 x 10^-27 kilograms.

3. What is the mass of an electron compared to a proton and neutron?

An electron has a significantly smaller mass than a proton or neutron, with a relative mass of approximately 0.0005 amu or 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms.

4. Do protons, neutrons, and electrons all have the same mass?

No, protons, neutrons, and electrons all have different masses. Protons and neutrons have similar masses, while electrons have a much smaller mass.

5. How do the masses of protons, neutrons, and electrons affect the structure of an atom?

The masses of protons, neutrons, and electrons all play a role in determining the overall mass and stability of an atom. The number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom determine its atomic mass, while the number and arrangement of electrons determine its chemical properties.