Question about the exponential growth and decay formula

In summary, the value e is used as the base for the exponent in the exponential growth and decay formula because it simplifies differentiation and integration, making it a convenient choice. However, any positive number except 1 can be used as the base, with conversion to base e possible through multiplying the constant by the natural log of the base.
FilupSmith
[I don't know if this is in the right topic or not so I hope I'm all good]

My question is related to the exponential growth and decay formula Q=Ae^(kt).

Simply, why is the value e used as the base for the exponent?

Does it have to be e?
If so, can anybody tell me why? Thanks~| FilupSmith |~

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't have to be e — it could actually be any "base."

For example, check out the first form for exponential decay given here; the base is 2 (or 1/2) because here the exponent is scaled by the half-life.

You can convert between different bases; here 2 is easy because it makes sense in this particular problem, other times e is used because it's convenient for doing further math like taking derivatives and integrals.

I thought so, I initially noticed this when solving for t. Because e kind of disappears once you take the natural log. I guess its really for convenience?

None the less, thank you very much!~| FilupSmith |~

Notice that: $$x^{kt}=e^{kt\ln x}$$

So I can convert from any base x to ##e## by multiplying the constant ##k## by ##\ln x##. So it's not mandatory that we use base e. However, base e is nice basically because of the integral:

$$\int \frac{1}{x}dx=\ln(x)+C$$

When solving the differential equation, it's sort of natural to stay in base e.

Likes 1 person
That helps a lot! Thanks! ~| FilupSmith |~

No, it doesn't need to be ##e##. One can use any positive number except ##1## as base. In general, if ##a>0##, ##a \neq 1##: ##e^{kt}=a^{(k/\ln a)t}##. In particular, if ##a=e^k##, we get the simple form ##e^{kt}=a^t##.

The reason that the base ##e## is often used is that it simplifies differentiation: The derivative of ##e^{kt}## is ##ke^{kt}##, while the derivative of ##a^{kt}## is ##k\ln a\, a^{kt}##.

This means that ##y=Ce^{kt}## is the general solution of the differential equation ##dy/dt=ky##, which arises naturally in the study of growth and decay. With base ##a##, the solution gets the more complicated form ##y=Ca^{(k/\ln a)t}##.

So, the base ##e## a simplifies the calculations.

Likes 1 person
However, [itex]a^x= e^{ln(a^x)}= e^{x ln(a)}[/itex]. In other words, it is fairly easy to convert an exponential to any base to an exponential to any other base. We typically use "e" because it is simplest- it has the property that its derivative is just itself while the derivative of any other base is a constant, other than 1, times the function.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the exponential growth and decay formula?

The exponential growth and decay formula is a mathematical equation used to model the change in a quantity over time when the rate of change is proportional to the current amount. It is typically written as y = ab^x, where y is the final amount, a is the initial amount, b is the growth or decay factor, and x is the time.

2. How is the growth or decay factor determined in the formula?

The growth or decay factor, represented by b in the formula, is determined by the rate of change and the time period. A growth factor greater than 1 indicates exponential growth, while a decay factor between 0 and 1 indicates exponential decay. The value of b can also be determined by the percentage change per unit time.

3. What are some real-life applications of the exponential growth and decay formula?

The exponential growth and decay formula is used in various fields such as finance, biology, and economics to model population growth, investment growth, and radioactive decay, among others. It is also commonly used in marketing to track the growth of a product's popularity over time.

4. What are the key assumptions of the exponential growth and decay formula?

The exponential growth and decay formula assumes that the rate of change remains constant over time, and that there are no external factors affecting the growth or decay. It also assumes that the quantity being modeled is continuous, rather than discrete.

5. How is the exponential growth and decay formula different from a linear growth or decay formula?

The exponential growth and decay formula differs from a linear growth or decay formula in that it models a constant percentage change over time, rather than a constant amount. This results in a curved graph for exponential growth or decay, while a linear growth or decay formula produces a straight line graph.