Question about the refrigeration cycle

In summary, the refrigerant heats up in the condenser because the air around it is getting cooler. The expansion of the refrigerant is what explains most of the cooling.
LennoxLewis
A practical question about that cycle: I've just bought a new fridge and looked at the refrigeration cycle for the first time in 5 or so years. Now, i feel that the condenser at the back is quite warm (as it should be) and is being cooled by my room. All good and well.

But how does the evaporator work? I mean, i understand that the superheated gas turns into a liquid, but how does that liquid become as much as 30 or so degrees Celcius so that it can be cooled by the environment later, despite (after a while) being heated by air of only 7 or so degrees?

Edit: Also, can anyone confirm if the efficiency is 1 - Tc/Th?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not clear on what you are asking. Are you asking how the refrigerant becomes cold after being warm? It expands through a throttling valve and when you expand a gas (or liquid into a gas), it cools. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigeration_cycle

Typically, efficiency is expressed as a COP, Qout/Qin.

russ_watters said:
I'm not clear on what you are asking. Are you asking how the refrigerant becomes cold after being warm? It expands through a throttling valve and when you expand a gas (or liquid into a gas), it cools. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigeration_cycle

Typically, efficiency is expressed as a COP, Qout/Qin.

Sorry if my question was unclear.

But you answered my question, thanks! As you say, the expansion is what explains why the refrigerant is so hot in the condenser. I should know this stuff because i had a thermodynamics class 5 years ago, but too much of it slipped my mind. :mad:

I remember the term COP... Coefficient Of ... P?

Well, the warmer air in the refrigerator being cooled by the refrigerant is what makes the refridgerant warm "in the condenser" (technically I'd consider it being warm before the condenser as when it enters the condenser it begins to cool and condense).

The expansion is what accounts for the majority of the cooling of the refrigerant. The Joule-Thompson coefficient is used to determine the temperature change with a pressure drop (expansion) and is dependant on initial temperature and pressure. The vast majority of gases at normal temps/pressures will cool when they expand.

LennoxLewis said:
But you answered my question, thanks! As you say, the expansion is what explains why the refrigerant is so hot in the condenser.
No, expansion is why it is cold in the evaporator. It is hot in the condenser because it goes through the evaporator, gaining heat, and then is compressed by the compressor.
I remember the term COP... Coefficient Of ... P?
Performance.

1. What is the refrigeration cycle?

The refrigeration cycle is a thermodynamic process that involves the transfer of heat from a cool space to a warm space, thereby maintaining a cool temperature in the desired space. This process is used in refrigerators, air conditioners, and other cooling systems.

2. What are the four main components of the refrigeration cycle?

The four main components of the refrigeration cycle are the compressor, condenser, expansion valve, and evaporator. These components work together to compress and cool refrigerant, then expand and evaporate it to remove heat from the desired space.

3. How does the refrigeration cycle work?

The refrigeration cycle works by using a refrigerant, typically a gas, to absorb heat from the space that needs to be cooled. The refrigerant is then compressed, which increases its temperature and pressure. This hot, high-pressure gas is then sent to the condenser, where it is cooled and condensed into a liquid. The liquid refrigerant then passes through the expansion valve, where it is allowed to expand and evaporate. This process causes the refrigerant to become cold and absorb heat from the space. The evaporated refrigerant is then sent back to the compressor to restart the cycle.

4. What is the purpose of the refrigeration cycle?

The purpose of the refrigeration cycle is to maintain a cool temperature in a desired space. This is achieved by removing heat from the space and transferring it to the outside environment. The refrigeration cycle is used in various applications, including food storage, air conditioning, and industrial processes.

5. What are some common problems with the refrigeration cycle?

Some common problems with the refrigeration cycle include leaks in the system, which can cause a decrease in cooling efficiency, and blockages in the system, which can prevent proper flow of the refrigerant. In addition, if the system is not properly maintained, it can lead to mechanical failures in the components. Regular maintenance and prompt repairs can help prevent these issues and keep the refrigeration cycle running smoothly.