Question about the turbine of a turbopump

In summary, the conversation discusses an illustration of a turbopump and its components, including the turbine, HP and LP blades, and the exhaust that goes to a Laval nozzle. The opening of the nozzle is shaped like a Laval nozzle, which compresses the gas before reaching a throat where M=1, and then diverges to increase turbine efficiency. There is some uncertainty about the accuracy of this information and further resources are suggested for verification.
Olaf Willocx
I found this illustration of a turbopump.

mark-3-jupiter-tp-cut-away.jpg

I need to know if my intuitive sense is correct here.

So, the turbine is located at the bottom right. The gas coming from the gas generator is fed into the torus shaped pipe on the left of the two turbine blades. First there is the HP turbine, the thin one. Then there's the LP turbine, the wide one. The exhaust then goes to a Laval nozzle or so to accelerate the rocket some more.

Now, I notice that the opening is shaped just like a Laval nozzle. At first the gas coming from the pipe is compressed as the opening gets narrower. Then there appears to be a throat, where M=1. Now the opening diverges, and speeds up to make the turbine more efficient.

Is all of this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Olaf Willocx said:
I found this illustration of a turbopump.
I'm pretty sure that turbopump was used on some of the engines that made up the Saturn V ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :muscle:
Olaf Willocx said:
Is all of this true?
I don't think this is quite right... ?
The exhaust then goes to a Laval nozzle or so to accelerate the rocket some more.
I could be wrong, though, so you can look at some links...
Here ...
Here ...

What is a turbopump?

A turbopump is a type of pump that uses a turbine to convert energy from a liquid or gas into mechanical energy, which then allows it to move the fluid through a system.

What is the purpose of a turbine in a turbopump?

The turbine in a turbopump is responsible for converting energy from a fluid into mechanical energy, which is then used to power the pump and move the fluid through a system.

How does a turbopump work?

A turbopump works by using a turbine to convert energy from a fluid into mechanical energy. This mechanical energy is then used to power the pump and move the fluid through a system.

What types of fluids can a turbopump handle?

Turbopumps can handle a wide range of fluids, including both liquids and gases. Some common fluids used in turbopumps include water, oil, and various fuels.

What are some common applications of turbopumps?

Turbopumps have a variety of applications in different industries. Some common uses include fuel injection in rocket engines, hydraulic systems in aircraft, and water circulation in power plants.