Question about topology in study of electricity

In summary, when calculating the flux of an electric field, the choice of shape used to surround the field (such as a sphere or cube) does not affect the result as long as the orientations of the shapes are the same. This is due to the application of Gauss's law, which states that the net flux through a region is proportional to the net charge inside that region. However, the choice of orientation for the shapes can affect the sign of the flux. This concept can be related to homology when using point particles in 3-dimensional space.
Coolphreak
This question pertains to physics, but has to do with the math. In order to find the flux of an electric field you can put a sphere around it and use that to find flux, since the amount leaving is the same at every point. My teacher said that if you put a cube around the field/charge, you would get the same amount of flux, but it would be a much more difficult computation. My question is, is the flux the same because the sphere and the cube have the same topology? what happens if you put the field inside a torus? Would the amount of flux calculated be different?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For simplicity, suppose that the sphere is inside the cube. We can define the region R which lies between the sphere and the cube. R has two boundaries: the cube (oriented positively) and the sphere (oriented negatively) We have:

flux through sphere + flux through R
= flux through sphere + (flux through cube - flux through sphere)
= flux through cube

Intuitively, if there is no charge in R, then there is no source of electromagnetic flux. Therefore, the net flux through R must be zero, and so the flux through the sphere is equal to the flux through the cube.

Rigorously, it depends on your definitions, but it essentially boils down to applying some form of Gauss's law to R; the net flux through the boundary is proportional to the net charge inside R.

How do you determine the orientations? Are they assigned arbitrarily? Your explanation reminds me a bit of homology lol

Last edited:
Coolphreak said:
How do you determine the orientations?
Well, to do the problem properly, I simply need the sphere and cube to have the same orientation. I chose the orientation on my region so that it would agree with the cube's orientation and disagree with the sphere's orientation.

Note that if the sphere and the cube had opposite orientations, the flux through the sphere would be the negation of the flux through the cube!

Your explanation reminds me a bit of homology lol
As well it should! For example, if you're using point particles, then I believe that it can be fruitful to think of your particles as punctures in 3-space and flux as a linear functional on 2-chains.

1. What is topology in the study of electricity?

Topology in the study of electricity refers to the arrangement or geometry of electrical circuits and how they are connected. It involves understanding the flow of electricity and the relationship between different components in a circuit.

2. Why is topology important in the study of electricity?

Topology is important because it helps us understand how electricity behaves in different circuits. It allows us to analyze and design circuits more effectively, leading to more efficient and reliable electrical systems.

3. How does topology affect the performance of electrical systems?

The topology of a circuit can greatly impact its performance. By changing the topology, we can alter the behavior of the circuit and improve its efficiency, stability, and other key characteristics.

4. What are some common types of topology used in electrical systems?

Some common types of topology in electrical systems include series, parallel, and series-parallel. Other more complex topologies include star, delta, and mesh configurations.

5. How does topology relate to other concepts in electricity, such as resistance and current?

Topology is closely related to other concepts in electricity, such as resistance and current, as it affects the flow of electricity in a circuit. The topology of a circuit can impact the resistance and current in different parts of the circuit, leading to changes in the overall behavior of the system.