Question about why ln(e^x) =/= x

• Thread starter physicsernaw
  • Start date
The right side is defined for all real x.In summary, the equation ln(e^x) =/= x is false because the domain of the left side is not equal to the domain of the right side. However, ln(e^x) = x is true because e^x and ln(x) are inverse functions and their domains are equal.
physicsernaw
Why is ln(e^x) =/= x?

The domain and range of the LHS are the same as the RHS, so I don't understand why this equation is false, where e^ln(x) = x, and the LHS and RHS of this does not have the same domain...

I know that e^x and ln(x) are inverse functions, so please don't only tell me this. Why does e^ln(x) = x, while ln(e^x) =/= x?

EDIT:
Like, I understand why sin^-1(sin(x)) =/= x, whereas sin(sin^-1(x)) = x, and this is because sin^-1(x) has a range of -pi/2 to pi/2

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
They are equal.

ln(e^x) = x*ln(e) = x

What/who told you differently?

Vorde said:
They are equal.

ln(e^x) = x*ln(e) = x

What/who told you differently?

I could have sworn wolfram alpha was telling me the equation is false, but I just tried again and it told me the equation is indeed true :blushing:

It's the other way around that you run into domain considerations:

$$ e^{\ln x} = x$$

The left side is defined only for x > 0 (considering only the real-valued log function).

, while sin(x) has a range of -1 to 1. This is not the case with ln(x) and e^x, so why does the same logic not apply?

I can explain this using mathematical principles and properties.

Firstly, it is important to understand that ln(x) and e^x are inverse functions, meaning that they "undo" each other. This is similar to how multiplication and division are inverse operations. For example, 2 x 3 = 6 and 6 ÷ 2 = 3.

Now, let's look at the equation ln(e^x) = x. This is true because ln(x) and e^x are inverse functions of each other. When we take the natural logarithm of e^x, we are essentially "undoing" the exponential function, and we are left with just x. This is why the equation is true.

On the other hand, e^ln(x) = x may seem confusing at first. However, we can understand this by looking at the properties of logarithms and exponentials. The property we need to focus on here is the power rule, which states that when we have an exponential expression raised to another exponent, we can multiply the exponents. In this case, we have e^ln(x), which can be rewritten as (e^1)^ln(x). Using the power rule, we can rewrite this as e^(1 * ln(x)), which simplifies to e^ln(x). And as we know, e^ln(x) is equal to x.

In summary, the equations ln(e^x) = x and e^ln(x) = x both make sense when we understand the properties of logarithms and exponentials. The key difference is that in the first equation, we are "undoing" the exponential function, while in the second equation, we are using the power rule to simplify the expression.

1. Why does ln(e^x) not equal x?

Ln(e^x) does not equal x because ln(e^x) is the natural logarithm of e^x, which is the inverse function of e^x. This means that ln(e^x) returns the power to which e must be raised to equal x. In other words, ln(e^x) gives the exponent of e, while x is the actual value of e^x.

2. Is there a mathematical proof to show why ln(e^x) is not equal to x?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof for this. It involves using the properties of logarithms and exponentials, such as log base a of a^x = x and e^ln(x) = x. By manipulating these properties, we can show that ln(e^x) is not equal to x.

3. Can you give an example to demonstrate why ln(e^x) does not equal x?

Sure, let's take x = 2. ln(e^2) = 2, but e^2 = 7.389, which is not equal to 2. This shows that ln(e^x) is not equal to x for all values of x.

4. Is there a practical application for understanding why ln(e^x) is not equal to x?

Yes, understanding this concept is important in many fields, such as finance, physics, and engineering. For example, in finance, it is used to calculate compound interest, while in physics, it is used to model exponential decay. Knowing why ln(e^x) is not equal to x allows for more accurate calculations and predictions.

5. Can ln(e^x) ever be equal to x?

No, ln(e^x) will never be equal to x for any value of x. This is because ln(e^x) is always the exponent of e, while x is the actual value of e^x. The only exception is when x = 0, where ln(e^0) = 0 and e^0 = 1, but this is a special case.