1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about wire-grid polarizers

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, and am not a genius in any way, so I hope you'll be patient with me.

I've been reading up on petrographic microscopes and understand that unpolarized light is filtered through a polarizer in order to get the EM wave electric fields to oscillate in the same direction. As the unpolarized light hits the wire-grid polarizer, those waves that are parallel with the metallic wire in the polarizer will be absorbed/reflected due to the electric fields interactions with the electrons in the wire. Those EM wave electric fields which are perpendicular to the direction of the wire-grid polarizer will be able to pass through it. My question is: What about those waves that are at a diagonal? Will they be able to pass through or not, and why? Every diagram that I have seen shows that ONLY the waves that are perpendicular to the direction of the wire-grid polarizer will pass through, and any deviation will result in those waves being absorbed/reflected.

If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2
    Please let me know if I'm even making sense!

:redface:

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The diagonal waves are just made up of vertical and horizontal (or rather can be resolved into H+V)
    A 45deg diagonal is equal H and V and so on.

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4
    I think I get it now. Their perpendicular components make it through, while their parallel components are absorbed/reflected.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook