1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question concerning math major and computer science (degree related)

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    I originally posted this in the mathematics thread but since I need as many replies asap (because I need to choose my timetable for this semester) I figured I should make a topic instead.

Basically, for my degree I'd like to double major in Applied and Computational Mathematics. However I am unsure what I should add to my degree from here - at the moment, I have a few extra units to add to it, but I don't know whether I should add some Computer Science units to it so that I can get a Double Major in Applied and Computational Maths and have a Computer Science Minor, or if I should add more Applied Mathematics units so that I can have a better mathematics major.

Initially, I wanted to have a CS minor, however there are a few Applied Mathematics unit I will be missing out on if I do get one e.g. Fluid Dynamics, Mathematics in Finance (in case I want to go into banking/economics later), and Real Analysis (which I heard is an important unit in any math major).

What would be better, and what would employers prefer in a degree? A double major in maths and a minor in CS, or only a double major in maths but with extra units? Also, will the Computational math major cover most of what is required for a minor in Computer Science?
    (I don't know if this is important, but I do intend on doing a graduate degree once I've finished my bachelors)

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2
    I'm double majored in Pure Math (not applied) and Computer Science.

My opinion is that 1: Two mathematics degrees probably won't do much in terms of employment (more so than 1) and 2: The technical skills you pick up in those classes are probably better resume builders than the minor itself. I'm sure someone who actually works and hires people will refute this, but this is what I would think employers would think (or more accurately, what I hope they would think).

The research you do in graduate school and your graduate degree will matter more than a minor will though.

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3
    That's initially what I thought, and I instead was going to major in Chemistry along with Applied Maths. However, after checking out various job opportunities for Applied Mathematicians I found that computers played a big part, so I decided to double major with computational maths instead.

It's good to know that grad school will more or less make the CS minor negligible though, because I really would prefer to have a more in-depth maths degree instead of missing out on one or two subject which could be important in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?