Question in Partial differential equation.

In summary, the book gives the following equation for polar coordinates: ##u(x,y)=u(r,\theta)##. Using the Chain Rule, one can find that \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial }{\partial \theta}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}. The book uses the second x-differentiation in full, rather than switching operators in the middle of the process.
yungman
For polar coordinates, ##u(x,y)=u(r,\theta)##. Using Chain Rule:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]
The book gave

[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)=\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

But should it be like this according to the first equation using Chain Rule? That it has to include the ##\theta## part?:
[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial }{\partial \theta}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]
I just follow the form like the first equation. If I am wrong, can you explain why?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your book actually wrote that nonsense, throw it in the fire.
You are most certainly correct that it is the latter expression one should use.

Thanks for the reply. This is the scanned copy of the book. this is "Partial Differential Equation" by Asmar. A book used by San Jose State.

This is part of the derivation of
[tex]\nabla^2u=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial r^2}+\frac {1}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial r^2}[/tex]

Attachments

• PDE1.jpg
    PDE1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 452
yungman said:
The book gave

[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)=\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

Thanks

yungman said:
Thanks for the reply. This is the scanned copy of the book. this is "Partial Differential Equation" by Asmar. A book used by San Jose State.

This is part of the derivation of
[tex]\nabla^2u=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial r^2}+\frac {1}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial r^2}[/tex]
The book does NOT say what you say it said in your first post.

In your FIRST post, you say that your book used merely d/dr, but it doesn't do that at all.

It performs x-derivations on the WHOLE expression, and that's completely different.

Now, YOUR suggestion is STILL correct:

What you say is that we basically CAN replace operators:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}=\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{x}} \frac{\partial}{\partial{r}} +\frac{\partial\theta} {\partial{x}}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}[/tex]

Your book, however, choose to use the second x-differentiation in full, rather than switching operators in the middle of the process.

BOTH strategies are correct

arildno said:
The book does NOT say what you say it said in your first post.

If you see my attachment, I wrote it in green, it's exactly what I said. the book just use product rule and only differentiated by x, not with ##\theta##.

Yes, it differentiates (du/dx) with respect to x, but NOT what you wrote in your first post, with respect to "r".
So, NO, it is NOT exactly what you said.
Read your first post again.

arildno said:
Now, YOUR suggestion is STILL correct:

What you say is that we basically CAN replace operators:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}=\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{x}} \frac{\partial}{\partial{r}} +\frac{\partial\theta} {\partial{x}}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}[/tex]

Your book, however, choose to use the second x-differentiation in full, rather than switching operators in the middle of the process.

BOTH strategies are correct

I think I understand now. You only use Chain Rule ONCE in the operation. That is you only perform this once per operation:

So if I do it my way:
[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial }{\partial \theta}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]
Then the next step is just a simple differentiation respect to ##r##
[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]
and [tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial \theta}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]
where it is a simple differentiation respect to ##\theta##. No more Chain Rule as I use it right at the beginning.What the book did, it did the simple differentiation respect to x first,
[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]
then apply the chain rule to each part.

Remember that you have in your method, for example,
[tex]\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{x}}=\cos\theta[/tex]
So that:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta} (\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{x}})=-\sin\theta[/tex]
and so on.

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It describes how a quantity changes over multiple dimensions, such as time and space. PDEs are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model natural phenomena.

2. What is the difference between a PDE and an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

The main difference between a PDE and an ODE is the number of independent variables. ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. This makes PDEs more complex and challenging to solve compared to ODEs.

3. What are some real-world applications of PDEs?

PDEs are used in many scientific and engineering fields, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. Some specific applications include predicting weather patterns, modeling the flow of fluids in pipes, and simulating the behavior of electric circuits.

4. How do you solve a PDE?

The method for solving a PDE depends on its type and specific form. Some common techniques include separation of variables, method of characteristics, and Fourier transforms. In some cases, PDEs can be solved analytically, while in others, numerical methods must be used.

5. Why are PDEs important in scientific research?

PDEs are essential in scientific research because they provide a powerful tool for modeling and understanding complex systems. They allow scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses about how physical quantities behave over time and space. Additionally, many natural phenomena can only be accurately described using PDEs, making them crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.