1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question involving higher derivatives

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of the following satisfy (f^k)(x) = 0 for all k >= 6?

a) f(x) = 7x^4 + 4 + x^-1
    b) f(x) = sqrt(x)
    c) f(x) = x^(9/5)
    d) f(x) = x^3 - 2
    e) f(x) = 1 - x^6
    f) f(x) = 2x^2 + 3x^5

2. Relevant equations

None, but given as a problem in a chapter where the topic is higher order derivatives.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the answer is e) but it's true for all k not just k>=6 and I don't know how finding the answer relates to higher order derivatives or how I'd use higher order derivatives to find the solution

k >= 6, for x = 1 & -1

(1-1)^k = 0
    0^k = 0, lol

Edit: Hmmm maybe I'm reading the problem wrong? Is it asking which function is always = 0 for all x, and all k >= 6?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You misunderstand the problem. The kth derivative is supposed to be identically zero (zero for ALL values of x, not just some). What's the 6th derivative of 1-x^6?

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

That doesn't make sense. These are supposed to be higher-order derivatives, not functions raised to an exponent. For choice (e), the 1st derivative (k = 1) is
    [itex]f'(x) = -6x^5[/itex],
    which is clearly not zero.

The question is, for which function(s) will the sixth- and higher-order derivatives be zero?
    When is
    [itex]f^{(6)}(x) = 0, f^{(7)}(x) = 0, f^{(8)}(x) = 0[/itex]
    (and so on)?

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4
    Ohhh. I thought the question was asking for f to the kth power, not the kth derivative of f

XD

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted