Question involving work and springs

In summary, a 4.00-kg object hung on a light spring that obeys Hooke's law stretches the spring 2.50 cm. Removing the object and replacing it with a 1.50-kg block results in the spring stretching 0.938 cm. To stretch the same spring 4.00 cm from its unstretched position, an external agent must do 1.25 J of work. This can be calculated by integrating the force needed to stretch the spring or by using the formula for spring's potential energy.
mldavis086

Homework Statement

When a 4.00-kg object is hung vertically on a certain light
spring that obeys Hooke’s law, the spring stretches 2.50 cm.
If the 4.00-kg object is removed, (a) how far will the spring
stretch if a 1.50-kg block is hung on it? (b) How much
work must an external agent do to stretch the same spring
4.00 cm from its unstretched position?

Homework Equations

F = -k*x
W = F*x

The Attempt at a Solution

**I get a) correct so you can skip to b) if you want

a) First using the 4kg block I get a force of 39.2N. Then using 39.2 = -k*-0.025 and solving for k I get k= 1568 N/m. .
Then inputting k for the 1.5 kg block(F=14.7 N) I get 14.7=1568x. x=0.00938 m or x= 0.938 cm

b)This is what I tried to do: F=-1568*-0.04=62.8 N So the force needed is 62.8 N. So using W=F*x, I get W= 62.8*0.04 = 2.51 J

I can see in the back of the textbook the answer is 1.25 J, so I'm tempted to just divide my answer by 2 but then I won't understand why. Can anyone out there explain this to me please??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force is not constant as the spring is stretched, so you need to integrate. Alternatively, if you know the formula for spring's potential energy, you could just use that.

1. How does the force of a spring affect the amount of work it can do?

The force of a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This means that the more force applied to a spring, the more work it can do.

2. Can the work done by a spring be negative?

Yes, the work done by a spring can be negative if the direction of the force applied and the displacement are in opposite directions. This means that the spring is doing work against the applied force.

3. How does the spring constant affect the work done?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness of the spring, determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means more force is needed, resulting in more work being done.

4. What is the relationship between work and the potential energy stored in a spring?

The work done by a spring is equal to the change in potential energy stored in the spring. This means that when a spring is stretched or compressed, work is done to store potential energy in the spring. When the spring returns to its original position, the potential energy is released as work.

5. Can the work done by a spring be used to perform other tasks?

Yes, the work done by a spring can be harnessed to perform other tasks. This is commonly seen in various mechanical devices, such as clocks and toys, where the potential energy stored in a spring is released to perform a specific action.