Question (Mechanics of Materials)

This clarifies the procedure for solving the problem and provides a better understanding of the mechanics of materials.
Sajama66
Hi guys, I am attaching a pdf file with the respective question it might be silly for many of you, but I would rather this question now, and move on with the problem.
The pdf file is from a class from mechanics of materials, I understand the procedure and how formulas are plugged and how the problem is solved, but I don't understand how the distributed load (150 kN/m changed to 90 kN) the instructor at class didn't want to answer and evade the question. (I circled the slide with the doubt about the load)
Your answer will be very helpful to clarify my basic knowledge of this class.
Thanks in advance
keep the great work

Attachments

• Question.pdf
    737.6 KB · Views: 315
Physics news on Phys.org
The distributed load of 150kN/meter over the 0.600m length of the rigid bar yields a total resultant load of (150kN/m)*(0.600m) = 90kN. Thus, the distributed load of 150 kN/m over the 0.6m length is represented as a concentrated load of 90kN at the centroid of the rigid bar.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out and seeking clarification on this question. It is important to fully understand all aspects of a problem in order to effectively solve it.

In regards to the change in distributed load from 150 kN/m to 90 kN, it is possible that the instructor wanted to challenge the class to think critically and apply their knowledge in a different way. It is also possible that the change in load was made to make the problem more realistic or applicable to a real-life scenario.

In any case, the key to solving this problem is to understand the concept of distributed load and how it affects the overall load on a structure. I suggest reviewing your notes and the textbook to gain a better understanding of this concept.

If you are still unsure, I encourage you to approach your instructor again and ask for clarification. it is important to always seek understanding and continuously learn. Do not be afraid to ask questions and seek help when needed.

I wish you all the best in your studies and hope this response has been helpful.

What is the mechanics of materials?

Mechanics of materials is a branch of engineering that studies the behavior of materials under various types of forces, such as tension, compression, bending, and torsion. It involves the analysis and design of structures and components to ensure they can withstand these forces and maintain their structural integrity.

What are the basic concepts in mechanics of materials?

The basic concepts in mechanics of materials include stress, strain, elasticity, and plasticity. Stress refers to the internal force per unit area that a material experiences, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape. Elasticity is the ability of a material to deform and then return to its original shape when the applied force is removed. Plasticity is the permanent deformation of a material when it is subjected to a force beyond its elastic limit.

What are the common types of loads in mechanics of materials?

The common types of loads in mechanics of materials include axial loads, shear loads, and bending moments. Axial loads are forces applied along the longitudinal axis of a structure, while shear loads are forces that act parallel to a surface. Bending moments refer to forces that cause a structure to bend or twist.

What are the different types of materials used in mechanics of materials?

The materials commonly used in mechanics of materials include metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites. Metals, such as steel and aluminum, are commonly used for their strength and ductility. Polymers, like plastic and rubber, are known for their flexibility and toughness. Ceramics, such as glass and concrete, are used for their high compressive strength. Composites are made up of different materials combined to create a material with specific properties, such as carbon fiber reinforced polymers.

How is the strength of a material determined in mechanics of materials?

The strength of a material is determined through the use of stress-strain curves and various mechanical tests, such as tension, compression, and bending tests. These tests help to determine the material's properties, such as its yield strength, ultimate strength, and modulus of elasticity, which are important factors in designing and analyzing structures and components.