Mechanics of Materials segment choosing

In summary: N and 40 kN are external forces. So you're saying there must be shear force of 10 kN internal shear force to compansate it, right?
mastermechanic

Homework Statement

0BYjDB.png

Homework Equations

Torque = F. d
Distributed Force -> Concentrated Force = w.d

The Attempt at a Solution

Concentrated force is equal to 40kN and I have found the B(y) as -10kN by taking moment with respect to the A point. And from the equilibrium A(y) is 50 kN.

Everything is good so far. But my problem is about to choosing the segment which I will analyze. The book shows the CB and finds the shear force 10 kN. But if I choose AC part, it is 50 kN. How do we decide to choose which segment will be analyzed? I mean what is the key point? If it is arbitrary, what did I miss to take into account and why it is not taken into account while choosing the part CB?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mastermechanic said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 210010

Homework Equations

Torque = F. d
Distributed Force -> Concentrated Force = w.d

The Attempt at a Solution

Concentrated force is equal to 40kN and I have found the B(y) as -10kN by taking moment with respect to the A point. And from the equilibrium A(y) is 50 kN.

Everything is good so far. But my problem is about to choosing the segment which I will analyze. The book shows the CB and finds the shear force 10 kN. But if I choose AC part, it is 50 kN. How do we decide to choose which segment will be analyzed? I mean what is the key point? If it is arbitrary, what did I miss to take into account and why it is not taken into account while choosing the part CB?

Thanks!
Show us how you get a shear force of 50kN choosing AC please.

Chestermiller said:
Show us how you get a shear force of 50kN choosing AC please.
Q76X4G.png
A(y) is 50 kN so C(y) must be 50 kN. It is weird, it can be any value even 0 depending on the region. So, I should know respect to what we choose the region.

mastermechanic said:
View attachment 210011 A(y) is 50 kN so C(y) must be 50 kN. It is weird, it can be any value even 0 depending on the region. So, I should know respect to what we choose the region.
In your force balance on AC, you omitted the downward shear force on the left side of cross section A.

Chestermiller said:
In your force balance on AC, you omitted the downward shear force on the left side of cross section A.
50 kN and 40 kN are external forces. So you're saying there must be shear force of 10 kN internal shear force to compansate it, right? I think I understand it thank you!

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Mechanics of Materials segment choosing

1. What is the purpose of studying the mechanics of materials segment?

The purpose of studying the mechanics of materials segment is to understand how materials behave when subjected to external forces. This knowledge is essential for designing and analyzing structures and machines, as well as for predicting and preventing material failure.

2. What are the main topics covered in the mechanics of materials segment?

The main topics covered in the mechanics of materials segment include stress and strain analysis, material properties, axial and torsional loading, bending, shear and deflection of beams, and combined loading. Other topics may also be included depending on the level and focus of the course.

3. Is knowledge of calculus required for understanding the mechanics of materials segment?

Yes, knowledge of calculus is essential for understanding the mechanics of materials segment. Calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals are used to derive equations for stress and strain, as well as to analyze complex loading scenarios.

4. How is the mechanics of materials segment different from other engineering courses?

The mechanics of materials segment is different from other engineering courses in that it focuses specifically on the behavior of materials under external forces. It combines principles from physics, materials science, and mathematics to analyze and design structural components. It also requires a strong understanding of both theoretical and practical concepts.

5. What are some real-world applications of the mechanics of materials segment?

The mechanics of materials segment has a wide range of real-world applications, including the design and analysis of bridges, buildings, aircrafts, automobiles, and medical devices. It is also used in the manufacturing and testing of materials, as well as in fields such as biomechanics and sports engineering.