1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question of a problem on Poynting vector

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    I have been working on this problem and I cannot get the solution as shown in the book. I scan the question and solution of the book and my work. It is too difficult for me to type it in, please open the attach scanned pdf file. THe top part is the copy of the book, the lower part is my work. You can see the solution on my part does not agree with the book and I check over my work many times already. Please tell me what did I do wrong
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We can't see your attachment until it is approved by admin. It would be quicker if you uploaded your pdf to imageshack.us and then posted a link to it.

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    It can be opened now.
    Thanks

5. Dec 5, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not by me it can't. It still says that it is pending approval.

6. Dec 5, 2008 #5
    I just opened already!! I wonder why!!

7. Dec 5, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can open it before it has been approved since you are the one that attached it. Everyone else has to wait 'til its approved.

Again, you can save a lot of time by uploading it to a free imagehosting site and then just posting a link to it.

8. Dec 9, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

I don't think your expression for the real part of [tex]\mathbf{E}(R,\theta,t)[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{H}(R,\theta,t)[/tex] are correct. Remember that the original phasor expression for E and H has 'j' inside, meaning that you have to multiply throughout by j, so that makes the formerly imaginary part real and the formerly real part imaginary.

9. Dec 9, 2008 #8
    Thanks again. It is so obvious that I just miss it all together. "j" translate to e to the power j(pi/2) which change the cos() to -sin().

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?