Poynting Vector in Non-Magnetic Dielectric Media

In summary, when light travels in a medium with negligible absorbance, it looks exactly like light in free space but with a different speed relative to that medium given by the refractive index. The Poynting vector is given by ##\vec{S} = \frac{1}{\mu _{0} } (\vec{E} \times \vec{B})##. For a non-magnetic medium (##\mu = 1##), I would naively expect that the Poynting vector expression would be unchanged. However, if the absorbance is not negligible, then the electric and magnetic fields are no longer in-phase. This means that the Poynting vector is complex (
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello all,

When light travels in a medium with negligible absorbance, it looks exactly like light in free space but with a different speed relative to that medium given by the refractive index. In free space, the Poynting vector is given by ##\vec{S} = \frac{1}{\mu _{0} } (\vec{E} \times \vec{B})##. For a non-magnetic medium (##\mu = 1##), I would naively expect that the Poynting vector expression would be unchanged. Is this the case? If the absorbance is not negligible, then the electric and magnetic fields are no longer in-phase. What does the Poynting vector look like then? If the base expression is unchanged, why does it still apply? If the wave is attenuated, is its Poytning vector complex (since its wavevector is complex)? Lastly, I would think that the intensity (average of the poynting vector over 1 wavelength) of an evanescent wave is 0. Is this true? Sorry for the boatload of questions. If anyone has a reference that goes over this, it may save a lot of time. My understanding is based off Ch 9 of Griffiths E&M textbook and Ch's 3 and 4 of Hecht's book.

Physics news on Phys.org
@Dale Sorry for the late reply. It took me a while to process that article. You definitely weren't kidding around when you said there had been some debate.

Since my original question is significantly larger in scope that I had anticipated, let me try to identify where I want to go with this. First, I would like to consider a solid, crystalline non-magnetic dielectric medium. I would like to look at reflected waves for which ##k_{z}## is complex (evanescent) at frequencies near a lossy polariton resonance, and determine how much energy they transport in the z direction averaged over a wavelength as a function of their index of refraction and absorbance. If I get that far, I would also like to do something similar for transmitted waves in an Ohmic conductor, looking at energy transport in the z-direction near surface plasmon resonances.

So, based on the kind of material considered, I'm ignoring pressure variations, fluid flow, and magnetization. Based on that, I think I can use the stress tensor given in (33) of the article Dale linked, by removing any term with a p, ##\vec{v}##, or ##\vec{M}## in it. That leaves ##\vec{g} = \epsilon_{0} \vec{E} \times \vec{B}##, which is the same as in free space. I'm a little surprised that there is no momentum associated with the optical phonons. I thought that ignoring the pressure p and fluid velocity ##\vec{v}## in equation (33) of the article would only neglect acoustic phonons and that any momentum or energy associated with optical phonons would be reflected in terms that depend only on ##\vec{P}##. Was I mistaken about that premise? Or is an additional term required for optical phonons? Or is there really no momentum associated with them?

Thanks in advance for any input.

What is the Poynting Vector in a Medium?

The Poynting Vector in a Medium is a mathematical concept in electromagnetism that describes the directional flow of energy in a given medium. It is represented by the symbol S and has units of watts per square meter.

How is the Poynting Vector calculated?

The Poynting Vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector, multiplied by the medium's permeability. This can be represented by the equation S = E x H x μ.

What is the significance of the Poynting Vector in a Medium?

The Poynting Vector is significant because it represents the rate at which electromagnetic energy is flowing through a given medium. It can be used to calculate the intensity of electromagnetic radiation and the direction of energy flow.

How does the Poynting Vector change in different mediums?

The Poynting Vector can change in different mediums due to variations in the permittivity and permeability of the medium. These factors affect the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, which in turn affect the direction and magnitude of the Poynting Vector.

What is the relationship between the Poynting Vector and electromagnetic waves?

The Poynting Vector is directly related to electromagnetic waves, as it describes the direction and intensity of energy flow in these waves. The direction of the Poynting Vector is perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields, indicating the direction of propagation of the electromagnetic wave.