Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on brightness units for LED's

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1

I've been thinking over for some time about creating a programmable LED display. I have an EEPROM and microprocessor among other things already, so it's not like I'm buying all the parts. Ideally, this display would be viewable from up to 30-40 feet away so it will have license-plate-sized letters. I haven't found an LED display that doesn't already have programmable features in it already so I'm considering building one for myself (yes I know it's a lot of wiring!) but I'm very concerned about finding LED's that are bright enough and have a wide enough viewing angle.

I've looked around Ebay waiting for a good deal on a couple hundred LED's, but units such as "cd" are quite foreign to me and I have no idea how bright 1cd is. http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=&sr=1&kw=led&origkw=LED&parentPage=search this is 720mcd, but I've bought something like it before and there's no way it would be enough. I found a vendor selling around 100 LED's for 60 bucks that are rated at 100,000 mcd. Is that more appropriate? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well 1 Candela is roughly candlelight!
    I think you are going to have to do some experiments, it will depend on details of the viewing angle, alignment and lighting conditions - plus the fact that most of the super power LED specifications are lies ( or at least measurements made under rather optimal conditions).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?