Question on brightness units for LED's

In summary, the person is looking to create a programmable LED display and has most of the necessary parts already. They are aiming for a display that is viewable from 30-40 feet away with license-plate-sized letters. They have not found a pre-built LED display with programmable features and are considering building one themselves. The main concern is finding LED's that are bright enough and have a wide enough viewing angle. They have looked on Ebay for deals but are unsure about the brightness measurements. The conversation partner suggests doing experiments to find the right LED's since many specifications may not be accurate.
jhicks
Hello,

I've been thinking over for some time about creating a programmable LED display. I have an EEPROM and microprocessor among other things already, so it's not like I'm buying all the parts. Ideally, this display would be viewable from up to 30-40 feet away so it will have license-plate-sized letters. I haven't found an LED display that doesn't already have programmable features in it already so I'm considering building one for myself (yes I know it's a lot of wiring!) but I'm very concerned about finding LED's that are bright enough and have a wide enough viewing angle.

I've looked around Ebay waiting for a good deal on a couple hundred LED's, but units such as "cd" are quite foreign to me and I have no idea how bright 1cd is. http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=&sr=1&kw=led&origkw=LED&parentPage=search this is 720mcd, but I've bought something like it before and there's no way it would be enough. I found a vendor selling around 100 LED's for 60 bucks that are rated at 100,000 mcd. Is that more appropriate? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well 1 Candela is roughly candlelight!
I think you are going to have to do some experiments, it will depend on details of the viewing angle, alignment and lighting conditions - plus the fact that most of the super power LED specifications are lies ( or at least measurements made under rather optimal conditions).

I can provide some insight into the brightness units and considerations for LED's in a programmable display. First, it is important to understand that the unit "cd" stands for candela, which is a measure of luminous intensity. It is a unit commonly used to measure the brightness of a light source, including LED's. 1 candela is defined as the luminous intensity of a light source emitting monochromatic radiation of frequency 540 THz and with a radiant intensity of 1/683 watt per steradian.

In terms of LED's, the mcd (millicandela) unit is often used to measure the luminous intensity. It is equivalent to 1/1000 of a candela. So, for example, 720 mcd would be equivalent to 0.72 cd.

When considering the brightness needed for your programmable display, there are a few factors to consider. One is the distance from which the display will be viewed. The farther away the viewer is, the brighter the LED's will need to be in order to be easily seen. Additionally, the size and viewing angle of the LED's will also affect their perceived brightness. Larger LED's and those with wider viewing angles will appear brighter from a distance.

Another important factor to consider is the ambient lighting in the area where the display will be located. If there is a lot of ambient light, the LED's will need to be brighter in order to stand out.

In terms of the LED's you have found on Ebay, 100,000 mcd is a very high brightness and would likely be suitable for your display. It is always a good idea to do some research and read reviews before purchasing LED's to ensure they meet your needs. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a knowledgeable electronics supplier or engineer to ensure you are getting the appropriate LED's for your project.

I hope this information helps in your search for LED's for your programmable display. Good luck with your project!

1. What are the different units used to measure the brightness of LED's?

The most common units used to measure the brightness of LED's are lumens, candelas, and lux. Lumens measure the total amount of light emitted from the LED, while candelas measure the brightness in a specific direction. Lux is a measure of the amount of light that falls on a specific area.

2. How are lumens and watts related when measuring LED brightness?

Contrary to traditional incandescent bulbs, the brightness of LED's is not directly related to the wattage. Lumens, not watts, should be used to measure the brightness of LED's. A higher wattage does not necessarily mean a brighter LED.

3. Is there a standard for measuring the brightness of LED's?

Yes, the International System of Units (SI) defines the standard unit of luminous intensity as the candela. This standard is used to measure the brightness of LED's.

4. How does the color temperature of LED's affect their perceived brightness?

The color temperature of LED's, measured in Kelvin (K), can affect the perceived brightness. LED's with higher color temperatures (above 5000K) tend to appear brighter, while lower color temperatures (below 3000K) may appear warmer and less bright.

5. Can the brightness of LED's be adjusted?

Yes, the brightness of LED's can be adjusted through a process called dimming. This can be achieved either through manual dimming controls or by using a dimmable LED bulb. However, not all LED's are dimmable, so it is essential to check the product specifications before attempting to dim them.