Question on calculating load on tidal movement

Calculating wind load is windspeed x itself x.00431 x sq. ft. of area. A 100 sq.ft vertical wing in a five mph wind is 10.77 lbs. The mass of salt water is around 854 times that of air. Can you use the wind formula and multiply by 854? Also, does this change with the weight of water at different atmospheres?

Answers and Replies

The basic equation you are describing is
F = (1/2)*rho*C*V^2
which is used for all sorts of turbulent flow force calculations. The trick is to have the correct C for the force component you want to calculate. It is common to distinguish between a lift and a drag force component, where each has its own coefficient (C-value).

I suggest you do some reading on fluid mechanics before you try to make these calcs to be sure you know what you are doing.

I'm more of a mechanical individual looking for the short answer at this point. There is quite a bit more to this than I'm showing. I,ve engaged several consultant engineers at this point to no avail. So if there is not a short answer can you direct me to someone or a service capable of the short and long answer?

Unfortunately, no. That is not permitted on this forum.