Question on convention - R vs r using universal law of grav.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
kjamha
Messages
98
Reaction score
1
I have a question on convention regarding the universal law of gravitation formula. Sometimes the distance is represented with the lowercase r and sometimes with the uppercase R. Why is it listed two different ways? I am thinking that r is the total distance and R is the radial distance, no? For example, the distance to a satellite might be r = R + h, where r is total distance, R is the radius of the planet and h is the distance from the surface of the planet to the satellite. I am wondering what the convention is.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kjamha said:
I have a question on convention regarding the universal law of gravitation formula. Sometimes the distance is represented with the lowercase r and sometimes with the uppercase R. Why is it listed two different ways? I am thinking that r is the total distance and R is the radial distance, no? For example, the distance to a satellite might be r = R + h, where r is total distance, R is the radius of the planet and h is the distance from the surface of the planet to the satellite. I am wondering what the convention is.

Yes, I've most often seen them used the way you suggest: r for the generic distance, R for the radius of the Earth or a specific object.