1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Harmonics

1. Oct 30, 2014 #1
    A serie RLC Circuit consists of 20ohm Resistor, an inductor with an inductance of 130mH and a variable capacitor. The capacitor is set to give resonance to the circuit at the third harmonic. The instantaneous value of the sinusoidal voltage across the circuit is represented by
    v(t) = 78 + 120sin251t + 84sin(753t+ pi/5) + 72sin(1255t + pi/4) volts

1.Calculate the iductive reactance at the fundemanetal and 3rd harmonic.
    2.Deteremine an expression for the current drawn from the supply
    3.Calculate overall power factor of the circuit.

Now I dont get how they can ask to get the 3rd harmonic. DO I take 120sin251t as the Third harmonic? which one do I use?

So far Ive gathered that the Fundamental Harmonic would be 120Sin251t and to get its inductive Reactance I would multiply the 251*(0.000130) to het the Reactance of the Inductor for the FIRST Harmonic. What baffles me is that theres a CAPACITOR involved? How would that work?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure the word "sinusoidal" is used here in the problem statement?

The sin (753t) term would be the third harmonic.

It's a series circuit, so you add the impedances of all 3 elements at the frequency under consideration. Add using phasor addition.

The capacitor is present to form a resonance at the frequency where it cancels the inductor's impedance. At frequencies away from resonance the capacitor just adds some series impedance.

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You were given L = 130 mH which is 0.130 Hy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted