Question on motion in two dimensions:

In summary, Barry Bonds hit a home run so that the baseball just cleared the top row of bleachers, 23.6 m high, located 130 m from the home plate. The ball is hit at an angle of 42° to the horizontal, and air resistance is negligible. Assume that the ball is hit at a height of 1.00 m above the ground. Find the following values.
integra2k20
OK, I've been trying to get problems like these where you are given the angle (but not the velocity) of the direction in which a projectile is fired. I have tried as many ways as i could conceive using kinematics, but i keep getting stuck. If anyone could just give me an idea how to go about getting a little more info so i can complete the problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Barry Bonds hits a home run so that the baseball just clears the top row of bleachers, 23.6 m high, located 130 m from the home plate. The ball is hit at an angle of 42° to the horizontal, and air resistance is negligible. Assume that the ball is hit at a height of 1.00 m above the ground. Find the following values.
(a) the initial speed of the ball
(m/s)

(b) the time at which the ball reaches the cheap seats

(s)

(c) the velocity of the ball when it passes over the top row
(____i+____j m/s)

(d)the speed of the ball when it passes over the top row

(m/s)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a good first step would be to use some trig to figure out the vertical distance the ball travels

After drawing a diagram, write down the equations of displacement of the ball for the x and y direction separately. What do you know about the initial position of the ball? What do you know about the final position of the ball? Eliminate the variable t from one of the equations, to get the initial velocity. The rest should be easy.

valueduser said:
I think a good first step would be to use some trig to figure out the vertical distance the ball travels

how would you do this, since the path would be parabolic?

EDIT: the total displacement is 131.9498, still don't get how I am gunna figure it out tho, i drew everything out but can't seem to get it still...

Last edited:
i tried what radou said, and it (seemed) to work. i got the values for Vxi and Vyi, then found Vi from that. it all worked out the way it should have an di checked my answer. these are the values i got:

Vxi = 174.9323 m/s
Vyi = 33.7752 m/s
Vi = 235.3946 m/s

t = .7431 seconds

with these values, i was able to calculate that the ball was at the following points at t= .7431: x = 129.9922 (which is right, its supposed to be 130, just some round off error). y = 23.3926 (should be 23.6, again, roundoff error). Since those values are so close, webassign should have no problem accepting those answers, but it says theyre wrong...

1. What is motion in two dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions refers to the movement of an object in a plane, where the object can move both horizontally and vertically. This type of motion is also known as two-dimensional motion and is described using both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is motion in two dimensions different from motion in one dimension?

Motion in one dimension refers to the movement of an object along a single straight line, while motion in two dimensions involves movement along both the x and y axis. This means that objects in two dimensions can have both horizontal and vertical components of motion, while objects in one dimension only have a single component of motion.

3. What is the equation for calculating displacement in two dimensions?

The equation for calculating displacement in two dimensions is: Δr = √(Δx² + Δy²), where Δr is the overall displacement, Δx is the horizontal displacement, and Δy is the vertical displacement.

4. How is velocity calculated in two dimensions?

Velocity in two dimensions is calculated by dividing the overall displacement (Δr) by the total time (Δt). This gives the average velocity of the object in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

5. What are some examples of motion in two dimensions?

Some examples of motion in two dimensions include a projectile being launched at an angle, a car driving on a curved road, and a person jumping off a diving board. In all of these cases, the object is moving both horizontally and vertically at the same time.