1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on numerical analysis prerequisites

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    First of all, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I would like to know what background is needed to be properly prepared for numerical analysis. I will have had calculus III (leaving C-4 left), ordinary differential equations. I'd be taking linear algebra concurrently.

Also, does one need analysis for mathematical probability? It's not explicitly listed as an option but I've glanced at the book and it appears to at least touch on measure spaces, which makes me think I'd be at a disadvantage for lacking analysis. Interestingly enough, even our class which teaches proof is not required for it either.

I ask on both of these because I don't think our prerequisites are properly lined out. I had to do a lot of extra work in ODE to make up for my lack of linear algebra. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately, there are many different topics that ma or may not be included in "numerical analysis" so it is very difficult to say what prerequites a particular numerical analysis course will require. It sounds to me like you have all of the basic ones but the best thing to do is to talk to the person who will be teaching the course.

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3
    I was just surprised to look at the book and see topics from calculus IV, such as double integrals, partial derivatives, etc. I had to spend a ton of extra time in a previous class learning things that I should have learned prior to taking it if the prerequisites had been set up correctly, so my appetite to do that again is really pretty low.

5. Jul 13, 2011 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, NA does concern itself with making calculations and using algorithms to evaluate integrals and calculate derivatives. NA provides the computational tools for other branches of science and engineering to use to obtain useful results. Solving linear systems and solving differential equations also occur frequently, so you should know some of the basics about those branches of analysis for your NA courses, so that you can understand how the numerical techniques from the NA course are applied.

6. Jul 13, 2011 #5
    Just from looking at the book, it looks like a fascinating subject. But my course load will be much heavier in the fall that it was for example when I took ODE, so I want to make sure that I have what I need, or close thereto, because I simply won't have the time to play catch-up on prior stuff.

Is a lack of real analysis prior to NA a serious problem or a bump in the road? Would it be something that's not critical, but not having it would prevent me from having a deeper understanding of the material? I don't think the professor is in at all over the summer so I'm on my own in trying to make a determination on this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook