1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prerequisites for real analysis?

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1
    I am returning to school, and I want to take a course in real analysis and abstract algebra this fall. I have been out of school for a year due to health reasons. The only math class I have credit for is Calc III, which I took first semester of my freshman year. I was enrolled in linear algebra and diff eq., but I had to withdraw from school early in the spring semester so I never got credit for them. I plan on taking a proficiency test to place out of diff eq., which I already know, and the introductory math proof writing course. I'm probably going to take the Linear Algebra again, because I feel I need a thorough review of it. My school doesn't list any prerequisites for the Analysis or abstract algebra sequence. You can only get into it by filling out a form at the mathematics department and receiving approval from the professor of the course.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2
    This is how it works at my school. There is an "Intro to Analysis" class, which has the prereq of an "Intro to Proofs" class. Then there is "Mathematical Analysis 1", which uses baby Rudin, and the prereq is that "Intro to Analysis" class.

I think that if you are comfortable with writing proofs, for the most part, you will be fine. Maybe find out what book they are planning to use, this might help you see if you're prepared.

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    Thanks, I see that the book they use is Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. The book used for the abstract algebra course is Michael Artin; Algebra. Is Linear Algebra a prerequisite to Abstract Algebra, or could I take Part 1 of Abstract Algebra concurrently with the upper level Linear Algebra course?

5. Aug 8, 2013 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Algebra can be taught including an introduction to linear algebra, parallel to linear algebra, or as a follow up to linear algebra. The Artin book uses more linear algebra than some others, but it is self contained (includes the linear algebra you need to know). The preface points out that the book does not require previous linear algebra, but if it is assumed it will be possible to skip or move quickly through the linear algebra to other topics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook