Question on software free trials

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi

I have a question regarding software free trials. Lot of proprietary software give free trials for few days. Now if I uninstall the software just some days before the trial period ends, and I re install it, does it give me the original trial period again ? How does the software know
about this ?

Answers and Replies

mathman
Science Advisor
Hi

I have a question regarding software free trials. Lot of proprietary software give free trials for few days. Now if I uninstall the software just some days before the trial period ends, and I re install it, does it give me the original trial period again ? How does the software know
about this ?
My guess: the supplier notes the ID of the computer when you download and keeps a record of the date. Presumably when you download a second time, the original entry can be referenced.

mathman that makes sense

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
It's also possible that the original installation puts a flag in the registry that will have the same effect as what mathman suggested.

EDIT: but in ANY case, I'd be very surprised if you can find any substantial software that allows multiple installations of the trial version.

berkeman
Mentor
Hi

about this ?
What you are asking about is illegal. Please do not post like this again here on the PF.

Thread is closed.