Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on software free trials

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Hi

I have a question regarding software free trials. Lot of proprietary software give free trials for few days. Now if I uninstall the software just some days before the trial period ends, and I re install it, does it give me the original trial period again ? How does the software know
    about this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess: the supplier notes the ID of the computer when you download and keeps a record of the date. Presumably when you download a second time, the original entry can be referenced.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    mathman that makes sense

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's also possible that the original installation puts a flag in the registry that will have the same effect as what mathman suggested.

EDIT: but in ANY case, I'd be very surprised if you can find any substantial software that allows multiple installations of the trial version.

6. Jul 11, 2012 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What you are asking about is illegal. Please do not post like this again here on the PF.

Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook