Question on software free trials

• Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of software free trials and whether or not uninstalling and reinstalling the software will reset the trial period. It is suggested that the software supplier keeps a record of the date and computer ID during the initial download, and it is unlikely that multiple installations of the trial version are allowed. The conversation is closed due to the illegal nature of the question.
issacnewton
Hi

I have a question regarding software free trials. Lot of proprietary software give free trials for few days. Now if I uninstall the software just some days before the trial period ends, and I re install it, does it give me the original trial period again ? How does the software know
about this ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Hi

I have a question regarding software free trials. Lot of proprietary software give free trials for few days. Now if I uninstall the software just some days before the trial period ends, and I re install it, does it give me the original trial period again ? How does the software know
about this ?
My guess: the supplier notes the ID of the computer when you download and keeps a record of the date. Presumably when you download a second time, the original entry can be referenced.

mathman that makes sense

It's also possible that the original installation puts a flag in the registry that will have the same effect as what mathman suggested.

EDIT: but in ANY case, I'd be very surprised if you can find any substantial software that allows multiple installations of the trial version.

IssacNewton said:
Hi

about this ?

What you are asking about is illegal. Please do not post like this again here on the PF.

Thread is closed.

Q: How long is the free trial period for software?

The length of the free trial period can vary depending on the software and the company offering it. Some may have a trial period of 7 days, while others may offer a longer trial of 30 days or more. It is important to check the specific software's website for their free trial period information.

Q: Do I need to provide any payment information for a free trial?

In most cases, no payment information is required for a free trial. However, some companies may require you to provide payment information and will automatically start charging you once the trial period is over. It is important to read the terms and conditions carefully before signing up for a free trial.

Q: Can I cancel my free trial before it ends?

Yes, most free trials can be canceled before the end date. However, some companies may require you to cancel a certain number of days before the trial ends to avoid being charged. Again, it is important to read the terms and conditions carefully.

Q: What features are included in the free trial version of the software?

This can vary depending on the software, but in most cases, the free trial version will have limited features compared to the full version. This allows users to get a feel for the software and its basic functions before deciding to purchase the full version.

Q: Is technical support included in the free trial?

In most cases, technical support is not included in the free trial version of the software. However, some companies may offer limited support during the trial period. If you encounter any technical issues, it is best to reach out to the software's customer support for assistance.