Question on Time Dilation Experiment

In summary, the time would move fastest for the observer at the center of the universe. However, this does not mean that time becomes infinite. Matter would still exist and time would just move more slowly for everyone else.
BobWylie
If time is slowed for an observer circling the Earth and we put an observer on the earth, sun, center of the milky way and finally the center of the universe then would it be correct to say that time would be moving fastest for the observer at the center of the universe?
If so is it possible that the passing of time becomes infinite and how would matter exist or would only energy be present in such a place?

Physics news on Phys.org
BobWylie said:
If time is slowed for an observer circling the Earth and we put an observer on the earth, sun, center of the milky way and finally the center of the universe then would it be correct to say that time would be moving fastest for the observer at the center of the universe?

No. But, in any case you must tell us whose inertial system it is in which you wish to make observations. Every observer will observe that clocks run slower in all other systems moving relative to his own.

Also, how do you define or locate a unique center of the universe? It would depend on the universe model you select, but generally speaking every location in the universe has equal claim to being the center--or you could also say that there is no center of the universe. It is like looking at the surface of a sphere and asking, "Where on that spherical surface is its center?"

BobWylie said:
If so is it possible that the passing of time becomes infinite?

Do you mean time passing at an infinite rate? The premise is meaningless in view of response to first question. But, No.

BobWylie said:
...and how would matter exist or would only energy be present in such a place?

Again the premise is meaningless. But, in any case, there is no place that is any different or special then any other...except for possibilities of certain black holes I suppose.

We have a FAQ about the center of the universe idea: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506991 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the quick response and please forgive me for being so general I am a layman. On the first question would time move faster at the center of the universe. In my mind the center of the universe would be the center of the big bang because from there everything theoretically originated and so (all things being equal) that point would not be moving in any direction in relation to what came out of the big bang. Now back to my reasoning for the first question I asked. The 1971 time dilatation experiment showed the clocks that traveled eastward were 40 nanoseconds behind the clock on the ground. So my thought is if this experiment was taken farther and a clock was put on the sun, center of the milky way and the center of the big bang then wouldn’t the clock at the center of everything be ahead of the clock at the center of the milky way and the milky way ahead of the sun and the sun the earth. So from the standpoint of someone on Earth the stars would appear to move faster than for the observer at the center of the universe.

Thank you for your patience.

1. What is time dilation and how does it relate to the experiment?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects in motion compared to those at rest. It is a key concept in the theory of relativity, and is related to the experiment as it is used to test the effects of time dilation on moving particles.

2. How is the experiment set up and conducted?

The experiment typically involves two clocks, one stationary and one moving at high speeds. The clocks are synchronized at the start of the experiment and then the moving clock is accelerated to high speeds. After a period of time, the clocks are brought back together and compared to see if there is a difference in their time readings.

3. What are the results of the experiment and what do they indicate?

The results of the experiment typically show that the moving clock has a slower time reading compared to the stationary clock. This indicates that time dilation is occurring for the moving clock, as predicted by the theory of relativity.

4. What are the practical applications of this experiment?

The experiment has practical applications in fields such as physics and aerospace engineering. It helps us understand the effects of high speeds on time and can be used to make more accurate predictions and measurements in these fields.

5. Are there any limitations or factors that can affect the results of the experiment?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the results of the experiment, such as the accuracy of the clocks, the level of acceleration of the moving clock, and the effects of external forces. These factors must be carefully controlled and accounted for in order to obtain reliable results.