Question regarding an integral

• Thread starter Christoffelsymbol100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the equation integrated by the student was different from the equation found by the book, but the differentiation yields the same result.
Christoffelsymbol100

Homework Statement

I've got an equation which I need to integrate. However, integrating it and checking with the solutions, I get two different results. I get the same result as using wolfram alpha, but a different result from the book.
If I differentiate both results, I get back to the orginal equation, so I don't know why they are different.

Homework Equations

Equation which I need to Integrate by separation of variables: [tex]\frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} = \frac{2l^4 a^2 x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2}[/tex]

Result from Book: [tex]\dot{x}^2 = \frac{ l^2 a^2 x^2}{12x^2+l^2}[/tex]
Result from Wolfram-Alpha: [tex]\dot{x}^2 = -\frac{(a^2 l^4)}{(12 (l^2+12 x^2))}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I differentiate both, I'll both get the same equation back which I integrated, I just don't understand why that's the case, since it doesn't look like they differ by a additive constant.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Paumi said:

Homework Statement

I've got an equation which I need to integrate. However, integrating it and checking with the solutions, I get two different results. I get the same result as using wolfram alpha, but a different result from the book.
If I differentiate both results, I get back to the orginal equation, so I don't know why they are different.

Homework Equations

Equation which I need to Integrate by separation of variables: [tex]\frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} = \frac{2l^4 a x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2}[/tex]

Result from Book: [tex]\dot{x}^2 = \frac{ l^2 a^2 x^2}{12x^2+l^2}[/tex]
Result from Wolfram-Alpha: [tex]\dot{x}^2 = -\frac{(a^2 l^4)}{(12 (l^2+12 x^2))}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I differentiate both, I'll both get the same equation back which I integrated, I just don't understand why that's the case, since it doesn't look like they differ by a additive constant.

(1) Please clarify: does
[tex] \frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} [/tex]
mean
[tex] \frac{d( d(x^2)/dt)}{dx} [/tex]
or
[tex] \frac{d (dx/dt)^2}{dx} [/tex]
or
[tex] \left( \frac{d (dx / dt) }{dx}\right)^2 \:? [/tex]
(2) Show the steps you used in obtaining your answer.

Last edited:
It means :[tex]\frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2[/tex]

For the result from the book there where no steps shown.

For my result: [tex]\frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} = \frac{2l^4a^2x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} \Longrightarrow \int d\dot{x}^2 =2 l^4a^2\int \frac{x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} dx[/tex]

Apply Substitution: [tex]u = 12x^2 +l^2 \,\,\,\,\,\,\, \frac{du}{dx} = 24x \Rightarrow dx = \frac{1}{24x}du[/tex]

[tex]\int d\dot{x}^2 = \dot{x}^2 = l^4a^2 \int\frac{1}{24u^2}du = -2l^4a^2\frac{1}{24} u^{-1} + c = -l^4a^2\frac{1}{12}\frac{1}{12x^2+l^2}+c[/tex]

There were some starting conditions which would lead to c = 0

Paumi said:
It means :[tex]\frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2[/tex]

For the result from the book there where no steps shown.

For my result: [tex]\frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} = \frac{2l^4a^2x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} \Longrightarrow \int d\dot{x}^2 =2 l^4a^2\int \frac{x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} dx[/tex]

Apply Substitution: [tex]u = 12x^2 +l^2 \,\,\,\,\,\,\, \frac{du}{dx} = 24x \Rightarrow dx = \frac{1}{24x}du[/tex]

[tex]\int d\dot{x}^2 = \dot{x}^2 = l^4a^2 \int\frac{1}{24u^2}du = -2l^4a^2\frac{1}{24} u^{-1} + c = -l^4a^2\frac{1}{12}\frac{1}{12x^2+l^2}+c[/tex]

There were some starting conditions which would lead to c = 0

You are correct, and the book is wrong (as can be checked by differentiating the answer---a step you should always perform).

I did perform that step as I wrote in my post and I get the same equation, though my derivative might be wrong.

Let's differentiate the solution from the book with respect to x:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{l^2a^2x^2}{12x^2+l^2}\right) = l^2a^2 \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x^2}{12x^2+l^2}\right)[/tex]

Using the quotient rule I get: [tex]l^2a^2 \frac{2x(12x^2+l^2)-24x^3}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} = l^2a^2\frac{24x^3-2xl^2-24x^3}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} = \frac{2l^4a^2x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2}[/tex] which is the same as the orginal function which I integrated

Even though it doesn't look like it at first glance, the two results do, in fact, differ by just an additive constant:
$$\frac{a^2l^2}{12}-\frac{a^2l^4}{12(12x^2+l^2)} = \frac{l^2a^2x^2}{12x^2+l^2}$$

vela said:
Even though it doesn't look like it at first glance, the two results do, in fact, differ by just an additive constant:
$$\frac{a^2l^2}{12}-\frac{a^2l^4}{12(12x^2+l^2)} = \frac{l^2a^2x^2}{12x^2+l^2}$$

Oops, my mistake in #4.

Ah I see, thanks very much both of you!

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is also known as the anti-derivative, as it is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. Why do we need to use integrals?

Integrals are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, to solve problems involving continuous change. They help us find the total value or quantity of a function over a given interval.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, and the result is a numerical value. An indefinite integral does not have limits, and the result is a general function with a constant of integration.

4. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. Can integrals be used in real-life applications?

Yes, integrals have many real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve, finding the volume of a solid, and determining the average value of a function. They are also used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.