Question regarding Double cantilevered Beam

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a formula for the deflection of a center-loaded beam that is cantilevered at both ends. The speaker mentions that their text does not have this formula, but suggests that the deflection of a beam cantilevered at its end may be similar. They also mention using a formula for an end-loaded cantilevered beam and superimposing results. Finally, they provide a link to a potential formula resource for the desired formula.
Saladsamurai
I was just looking around for a formula for the deflection of a center-loaded beam that is cantilevered at both ends.

For some reason my text does not have one. It does however have the deflection of a beam cantilevered at its end and I am thinking the two cases should be very similar if not identical, but I am having trouble rationalizing (or un-rationalizing) this.

Can someone clue me in here?

thanks,
Casey

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh! I just had a thought. I could use the formula for the center-loaded single cantilevered beam

+

The formula for a an end-loaded cantilevered beam (opposite direction) whose end-load is equal to the reaction force of the other cantilever...

I will play with this for a while.

You can superimpose results. That is the way to go. However, one quick search did turn up this link:

http://structsource.com/analysis/types/beam.htm [Broken]

I believe you're looking at the third from the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a double cantilevered beam?

A double cantilevered beam is a type of structural member that is supported on both ends and extends horizontally without any intermediate support. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects to provide structural stability and support.

2. What are the advantages of using a double cantilevered beam?

The main advantage of a double cantilevered beam is its ability to support heavy loads without the need for intermediate supports. This makes it a cost-effective solution for large structures. Additionally, the symmetrical design of the beam allows for better weight distribution and structural stability.

3. What are the common applications of double cantilevered beams?

Double cantilevered beams are commonly used in bridge construction, as they provide a stable and strong support for the bridge deck. They are also used in buildings and other structures, such as aircraft hangars and stadium roofs, to support large spans and heavy loads.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a double cantilevered beam?

When designing a double cantilevered beam, it is important to consider the material properties, load distribution, and support conditions. The dimensions and shape of the beam, as well as the type of connection used, also play a crucial role in the overall design and structural integrity of the beam.

5. How is the strength of a double cantilevered beam determined?

The strength of a double cantilevered beam is determined by its moment of inertia and its material properties. The moment of inertia is a measure of the beam's resistance to bending, while the material properties, such as the yield strength, determine the maximum load the beam can withstand before it fails. These factors are taken into account during the design process to ensure the beam is strong enough to support the intended load.