Understanding Mass-Spring Behavior in Zero Gravity

In summary, the author is trying to understand why masses on springs move when the force of gravity is zero.
aatari
Hi Guys,

So I am using the following simulation for this activity (Mass and Springs).

The concept I need help with is to understand why when attaching a mass, the spring moves downward when the gravity is zero? If there is no gravity my limited understanding is that spring should not move.

Can someone please help me understand this phenomenon.

Thanks!

1. Homework Statement

How can you account for the behaviour of masses on springs when the force of gravity is zero? Give your answer both qualitatively (written explanation) and mathematically (algebraic explanation).

Homework Equations

[/B]
Fs = Fg
Fg = mg
Fs = k.x

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
When I went to the simulation website, it settled back to the dashed line for g=0. When you first hook it on, if you are not exactly on the equilibrium point then there will be some disturbance of the spring - note that you can use the hand to pull on the masses, then release and watch it oscillate.
If the spring is horizontal on a table, and you pull on it, you would expect it to exert a force back toward the equilibrium point.

Likes aatari
If you attach the masses without stretching or compressing the spring, there is no oscillation.

If you attach the mass and release it away from the neutral point, it oscillates because you have provided some potential energy by stretching or compressing the spring.

Likes scottdave and aatari
You guys are awesome. I actually took the spring disturbance as movement and this is obviously not the case. Using the ruler and dash line really helps. Thank you for the clarification.

Try turning on the energy bar graphs to watch how energy changes between different forms (kinetic, gravitational PE (if gravity), spring PE, and thermal (from the friction)). It is interesting to watch how the bar graphs respond.

1. What is spring and how does it work in zero gravity?

Spring is a mechanical device that can store and release mechanical energy. In zero gravity, the absence of gravity means that objects do not experience weight or force due to gravity. This means that a spring will not compress or stretch as it would on Earth.

2. Can a spring still be used as a form of propulsion in zero gravity?

Yes, a spring can still be used as a form of propulsion in zero gravity. However, since there is no gravitational pull, the spring would only be able to provide a one-time burst of energy rather than continuous propulsion.

3. How does zero gravity affect the behavior of a spring?

In zero gravity, the behavior of a spring is different compared to in a gravity environment. The spring will not experience any weight or force, so it will not compress or stretch. It will also not have a natural resting position as it would on Earth.

4. Are there any differences in the design of springs for use in zero gravity?

Yes, there are some differences in the design of springs for use in zero gravity. Since the spring will not experience any weight or force, it does not need to be as sturdy as a spring designed for use on Earth. Additionally, the spring may need to be secured in place to prevent it from floating away.

5. Can springs be used in space for other purposes besides propulsion?

Yes, springs can be used in space for other purposes besides propulsion. They can be used in various mechanical devices and systems, such as shock absorbers, hinges, and antennas. Springs can also be used to store and release energy in space habitats and structures.