1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Higher Derivatives

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    when working with higher derivatives each time we differentiate a polynomial the degree decreases by 1.

I am asked to find the second and third derivatives of this polynomial: y=(x^4)(e^x)

I get the following (pretty sure it's right):

y`= (x^4)(e^x) + 4(x^3)(e^x)

y`` = (x^4)(e^x) + 8(x^3)(e^x) + 12(x^2)(e^x)

y``` = (x^4)(e^x) + 12(x^3)(e^x) + 36(x^2)(e^x) + 24(x)(e^x)

I thought the degree's of the polynomials were supposed to decrease with each differentiation? Isn't each polynomial still degree 4?

Where is my error :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your derivatives are right. The problem is that you are not dealing with polynomials. The e^x term is exponential, not polynomial, in nature. So, the properties of polynomials do not necessarily apply here, since your polynomial term in the function is multiplied by and exponential term.
  4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    arg, I guess I was thrown off by the x^4... that made me think I was dealing with a polynomial. I guess I need to review basic algebra to remind myself what a polynomial is:redface:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?