Question regarding Penicillin Allergy and Covid Vaccines

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of getting the Covid vaccine for someone with a severe allergy to penicillin. It is determined that the vaccine is safe as long as the person is not allergic to any of its components. It is also recommended to stay at the vaccination center for 15-30 minutes in case of anaphylaxis. Resources are provided for further information and it is suggested to consult with a family doctor or medical clinic for specific concerns. Additionally, it is mentioned that ASV town halls are available for answering questions and that the majority of Covid hospitalizations and deaths are among unvaccinated individuals.
MidgetDwarf
Greetings. I have been contemplating getting the Covid Vaccine. However, I have a sever allergy to Penicillin. The last time I received penicillin, I was a young child. Difficulty breathing/hives, and went to the hospital.

Anyways, I have been reading online to see if a Covid vaccine is safe for someone with an allergy to penicillin. However, I cannot see to find a clear answer.

Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, it is safe. Unless you have lots of allergies to different things, what matters is allergy to that specific class of substances, ie. penicillin in your case. Since the vaccine does not contain penicillin (check the ingredients for the vaccine you are interested in), it is safe for you to take it. In many countries, you are required to stay at the vaccination center for 15-30 minutes, so that if you develop anaphylaxis, they can jab you with epinephrine. Of course you should stay alert for other unexpected effects that may take longer to develop, and see a doctor if necessary.

The information you need can be found in sites such as these (check the sites for more details and check the guidelines in the country you are in):

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/specific-groups/allergies.html
"CDC recommends that people get vaccinated even if they have a history of severe allergic reactions not related to vaccines or injectable medications—such as food, pet, venom, environmental, or latex allergies. People with a history of allergies to oral medications or a family history of severe allergic reactions may also get vaccinated."

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/adv...ability-for-covid-19-vaccine-pfizer-biontech/
Individuals due to be vaccinated may have had previous allergies, and may ask their healthcare professional for advice on their suitability for vaccination.
Public Health England’s Immunisation Against Infectious Disease (the Green book) states that:
- those with allergies, including anaphylaxis, to a food, insect sting or most medicines (where the trigger has been identified), can proceed with vaccination as normal according to local guidelines, as long as they are not known to be allergic to any component (excipient) of the vaccine;
- anyone with a family history of allergies, a previous non-systemic reaction to a vaccine, hypersensitivity to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g. aspirin, ibuprofen) or mastocytosis can proceed with vaccination as normal, according to local guidelines.

Likes russ_watters and pinball1970
MidgetDwarf said:
Anyways, I have been reading online to see if a Covid vaccine is safe for someone with an allergy to penicillin. However, I cannot see to find a clear answer.
Do you have a family doctor or a medical clinic where you have gone before (so they know about your medical history)? That would be the best place to ask this question.

Likes pinball1970
Two points:

ASV = American Society for Virology

1. ASV town halls (Zoom meetings) are for this exact purpose - answering questions like this one. Tomorrow, Tuesday, 22-06-2021, there is one in Spanish, for example. See:
https://asv.org/vaccine-townhall/

2. PF is not set up to support questions like you asked. Try an ASV town hall or your local health provider.
So, the thread is now closed.

PS: per Daniel Griffin MD, a medical director for Optum, >99% of Covid admissions to New York hospitals
are now unvaccinated patients. ~3% of them do not survive. No deaths, no ICU admissions for the very few vaccinated patients.

Likes BillTre and berkeman

1. What is the connection between penicillin allergy and Covid vaccines?

Penicillin allergy and Covid vaccines are not directly related. The Covid vaccines do not contain any penicillin or penicillin derivatives, so having a penicillin allergy should not affect your ability to receive the Covid vaccine.

2. Can people with a penicillin allergy safely receive the Covid vaccine?

Yes, people with a penicillin allergy can safely receive the Covid vaccine. As mentioned before, the vaccines do not contain any penicillin or penicillin derivatives, so there is no risk for an allergic reaction.

3. Is it possible to have an allergic reaction to the Covid vaccine if I have a penicillin allergy?

While it is always possible to have an allergic reaction to any medication or vaccine, having a penicillin allergy does not increase the risk of having an allergic reaction to the Covid vaccine. The ingredients in the vaccine are different from penicillin and are not known to cause allergic reactions in people with penicillin allergies.

4. Are there any precautions I should take if I have a penicillin allergy and am getting the Covid vaccine?

If you have a known penicillin allergy, it is always a good idea to inform your healthcare provider before receiving any vaccine or medication. This will allow them to monitor you closely for any potential allergic reactions and provide appropriate treatment if needed.

5. Can the Covid vaccine cause a penicillin allergy?

No, the Covid vaccine cannot cause a penicillin allergy. The vaccines do not contain any penicillin or penicillin derivatives, so there is no risk of developing a penicillin allergy from the Covid vaccine.