Question reguarding gravitational pull

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of gravitational force between the Earth and a person. The equation, F = Gm1m2/d^2, gives a very high result when applied to the mass of an average person and the mass of the Earth. However, when the equation is corrected to account for the person's mass, the result is close to the expected value of 700 Newtons. It is noted that this value may vary slightly due to rounding of the figures used in the calculation.
Chewy0087
Hey there, firstly i'll just say to start I've not studied general relativity at all, and the answer to my question may lie there, but i'll ask anyway;

Well I was thinking about the gravitational equation;

F (1,2) = m1m2G/d²

However putting the Earth & a person in there gives an absolutely ridiculously high result, and yet we know for a fact that the pull of gravity on us is constant (10 ms ish), by just using really rough internet figures i get

(70 (mass of avg person) * 5.9 * 10^24 (earth mass) * G)/ 6377000^2 (dist from core - surface of the earth)

= 583 ish ms? A ridiculous answer

Any reason for this? I don't think I've gone much wrong, not enough to cause that :eek:

Thanks in advance for any help

Edit :JEEZ MEGA FAIL ON MY PART - F = MA, LAWLLLLL, diving by 70 gives a very good answer for gravity -

does this then mean that 9.8 isn't constant? And it is indeed dependant on mass, but it makes almost no difference whatsoever - sorry for failthread

Physics news on Phys.org
A person with a mass of 70 kg has a weight close to 700 Newtons on earth. That's the gravitational force exerted by the Earth on the person. Your method should give you a number close to that expected answer.

G m_earth / (r_earth)^2

= (6.67 X 10^-11 N m^2/kg^2) ( 5.98 X 10^24 kg) / (6.37 X 10^6 m)^2

= 9.83 kg m/s^2

So...it's not constant? :P Didnt really get the 2nd post

Chewy0087 said:
(70 (mass of avg person) * 5.9 * 10^24 (earth mass) * G)/ 6377000^2 (dist from core - surface of the earth)

Where are you incorporating G, which equals 6.67*10^-11?

Yeah sorry i forgot to edit the original post - i did get it in the end, just forgot to divide by mass xP, got 9.75 ish which is awesome considering the mega-rounding i did with the wiki figures, it's just really nice to see these awesome equations work using them yourself! Thanks guyz

1. How does the gravitational pull of an object affect its motion?

The gravitational pull of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the larger the object's mass, the stronger its gravitational pull. The gravitational pull of an object also affects the motion of other objects around it, causing them to orbit or fall towards the object.

2. Does the distance between two objects affect their gravitational pull?

Yes, the distance between two objects does affect their gravitational pull. According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This means that the closer two objects are, the stronger their gravitational pull on each other will be.

3. What factors can affect the strength of the gravitational pull?

The strength of the gravitational pull between two objects depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass of the objects, the stronger their gravitational pull. The closer the objects are, the stronger their gravitational pull. Other factors, such as the shape of the objects or the presence of other objects, can also affect the strength of the gravitational pull.

4. How is the gravitational pull of Earth different from other planets?

The gravitational pull of Earth is unique in comparison to other planets in our solar system. Earth has a larger mass and a higher density, which results in a stronger gravitational pull. Additionally, Earth's rotation and shape also play a role in its gravitational pull, causing it to be slightly stronger at the poles than at the equator.

5. Can the gravitational pull of an object be turned off or reversed?

No, the gravitational pull of an object cannot be turned off or reversed. Gravity is a fundamental force of nature and is always present between objects with mass. However, the strength of the gravitational pull can be counteracted by other forces, such as the centrifugal force of an object's rotation or the repulsive force of electromagnetism.