1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question related to Schrodinger equation

1. Apr 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    C.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It is a short question so I don't suppose it is difficult. However, I don't really understand what it is asking for :
    1.The TDSE itself is already a 2nd-order differential equation (if you substitute the terms back into H).
    2. Usually, the equation in the first line should be ψ( r, t) instead of ψ(t). So the question starts from a time-dependent function then proceed to a general case, in which the spatial part also comes into play?

I thought the question is asking you how to derive the TISE Hψ = Eψ. Should I just take the scalar product
    < r | ψ(t)> then proceed to the regular steps like separation of variables? Or there is another way to interpret this question?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, first the hamiltonian in dirac equation is ##\hat{H}=\hat{H}(t)##. You can start to write ##|\psi(t)\rangle=\int dt \psi(r,t)|r\rangle## with ##\langle r'|r\rangle=\delta(r'-r)## and ##\hat{p}|\psi(t)\rangle=-i\hbar \int dr\frac{\partial}{\partial r} \psi(r,t) |r\rangle##. So you can proceed to write ##\hat{H}## for a particle in one dimension ##\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}+V(r,t)## substituting the previous expressions...

details are in

http://wiki.physics.fsu.edu/wiki/index.php/The_Schrödinger_Equation_in_Dirac_Notation

Ssnow

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted