1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to the Schrodinger Equation

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the full 1-electron hydrogen wave function.

Prove that

ψ =A(6r –r2/a0) exp[-^r3/a0] sinθ exp[+iφ],

is a solution to the Schrodinger equation H|ψ> = E|ψ>, where H is the Hamiltonian operator.

Hence show that it's energy E= -1.51 eV and its principle quantum number n = 3.

2. Relevant equations

So as far as I understand the Schrodinger equation is

-ħ2/2m[1/r2 δ/δr(r2 δ/δr) + 1/(r2sinθ) ∂/∂θ(sinθδ/δθ) + 1/(r2sinθ) δ2/δφ2]ψ - Vψ = Eψ

3. The attempt at a solution

I have subbed the solution into the equation, differentiating where needed and so on. I'm unsure as to what actually proves it is a solution, do I need to get one side equal to zero?
    I also have no idea how to show that its E = -1.51 eV. I would be able to get from E to n though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2
    I've had massive trouble trying to do powers and subscripts. Hopefully it's clear enough.

4. Nov 23, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Brad, welcome to PF :)

Good. You are to find that your left hand side yields a constant times ##\Psi##. The constant is E.

Did you find that ? If not, show what you did find.

5. Nov 23, 2014 #4

Ok I'm in the process of trying to get it like that. I'm struggling to factorise out the 'r's so may be a little while :P

6. Nov 23, 2014 #5
    Hi,

After working on it all day, I haven't got what is needed.
    A lot of the terms have cancelled out. I may have done it wrong but have checked thoroughly.

On the left hand side I am left with,

Ae-r/3aesinθ(-r2/9a3 + ((3a + 8)/3a2)r - (12ħ2 + 6m)/aħ2

Please please help :(

7. Nov 23, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should make the effort to learn LaTeX so you can write mathematics. There's a good tutorial here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-faq-and-howto.617567/#post-3977517
    LaTeX is pretty straightforward. If you quote this post, you can see the markup used to generate the equations below:
    $$\psi = A \left(6r-\frac{r^2}{a_0}\right) e^{-r^3/a_0}\sin\theta e^{i\phi} \\
    -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\left[\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r^2\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right) +
    \frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\left(\sin\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\right) +
    \frac{1}{r^2\sin^2\theta}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial\phi^2}\right]\psi - V\psi = E\psi.$$ I don't know if it was just a typo, but in the last term of ##\nabla^2##, ##\sin\theta## should be squared.

You need to show your work. Just posting what you end up with isn't very helpful since your mistakes, if any, occurred in earlier steps. Unless we can see them, we don't know where you went wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted