Solution to the Schrodinger Equation

In summary, Brad solved the homework equation by differentiateing and finding a constant. He also stated that he didn't know if it was a typo that the last term of ##\nabla^2## should be squared.
bradx888

Homework Statement

Consider the full 1-electron hydrogen wave function.
[/B]
Prove that

ψ =A(6r –r2/a0) exp[-^r3/a0] sinθ exp[+iφ],

is a solution to the Schrodinger equation H|ψ> = E|ψ>, where H is the Hamiltonian operator.

Hence show that it's energy E= -1.51 eV and its principle quantum number n = 3.

Homework Equations

[/B]
So as far as I understand the Schrodinger equation is

-ħ2/2m[1/r2 δ/δr(r2 δ/δr) + 1/(r2sinθ) ∂/∂θ(sinθδ/δθ) + 1/(r2sinθ) δ2/δφ2]ψ - Vψ = Eψ

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have subbed the solution into the equation, differentiating where needed and so on. I'm unsure as to what actually proves it is a solution, do I need to get one side equal to zero?
I also have no idea how to show that its E = -1.51 eV. I would be able to get from E to n though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've had massive trouble trying to do powers and subscripts. Hopefully it's clear enough.

Hello Brad, welcome to PF :)

I have subbed the solution into the equation
Good. You are to find that your left hand side yields a constant times ##\Psi##. The constant is E.

Did you find that ? If not, show what you did find.

BvU said:
Hello Brad, welcome to PF :)Good. You are to find that your left hand side yields a constant times ##\Psi##. The constant is E.

Ok I'm in the process of trying to get it like that. I'm struggling to factorise out the 'r's so may be a little while :P

BvU said:
Hello Brad, welcome to PF :)Good. You are to find that your left hand side yields a constant times ##\Psi##. The constant is E.

Hi,

After working on it all day, I haven't got what is needed.
A lot of the terms have canceled out. I may have done it wrong but have checked thoroughly.

On the left hand side I am left with,

Ae-r/3aesinθ(-r2/9a3 + ((3a + 8)/3a2)r - (12ħ2 + 6m)/aħ2

Please please help :(

bradx888 said:
ψ =A(6r –r2/a0) exp[-^r3/a0] sinθ exp[+iφ],

-ħ2/2m[1/r2 δ/δr(r2 δ/δr) + 1/(r2sinθ) ∂/∂θ(sinθδ/δθ) + 1/(r2sinθ) δ2/δφ2]ψ - Vψ = Eψ
You should make the effort to learn LaTeX so you can write mathematics. There's a good tutorial here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-faq-and-howto.617567/#post-3977517
LaTeX is pretty straightforward. If you quote this post, you can see the markup used to generate the equations below:
$$\psi = A \left(6r-\frac{r^2}{a_0}\right) e^{-r^3/a_0}\sin\theta e^{i\phi} \\
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\left[\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r^2\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right) +
\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\left(\sin\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\right) +
\frac{1}{r^2\sin^2\theta}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial\phi^2}\right]\psi - V\psi = E\psi.$$ I don't know if it was just a typo, but in the last term of ##\nabla^2##, ##\sin\theta## should be squared.

You need to show your work. Just posting what you end up with isn't very helpful since your mistakes, if any, occurred in earlier steps. Unless we can see them, we don't know where you went wrong.

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical formula that describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and time.

2. Why is solving the Schrodinger Equation important?

Solving the Schrodinger Equation allows us to understand the behavior of particles at a microscopic level and make predictions about their properties and interactions. It is also crucial for developing new technologies, such as quantum computers and advanced materials.

3. What is the solution to the Schrodinger Equation?

The solution to the Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical function called the wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain state at a given time. It is a complex function that depends on the specific system being studied.

4. How is the Schrodinger Equation solved?

The Schrodinger Equation is solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are the applications of the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation has a wide range of applications, including understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, predicting the properties of materials, and developing new technologies in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.