Questions about gradient and scalar product

In summary: This is used in the transformation of the gradient from Cartesian to polar coordinates.In summary, the general formula for the dot product between two vectors A and B is gμνAμBν. It holds true in the general case for any coordinate system. The unit vector in the direction of any vector can be found by dividing the vector by its magnitude, which holds true in any coordinate system. In cylindrical coordinates, the gradient of a function is expressed as a linear combination of the original basis vectors, with (1/r) being multiplied by θ-hat and (∂U/∂θ) instead of just r to maintain dimensional consistency. This is because the partial derivatives are related to the covector basis, which is equal to
space-time
I recently learned that the general formula for the dot product between two vectors A and B is:

gμνAμBν

Well, I now have a few questions:

1. We know how in Cartesian coordinates, the dot product between a vector and itself (in other words A ⋅ A) is equal to the square of the magnitude |A|2. Well does this hold true in the general case as well for any coordinate system? If I do gμνAμAν, will that give me the square of the magnitude of the vector A?

2. We know that in Cartesian coordinates, you can find a unit vector in the direction of any vector by dividing the vector by its magnitude ( in other words by doing this: A / |A| ). Can you use this same method to find said unit vector in any coordinate system (whether it be a set of orthogonal coordinates or curvilinear coordinates)?

3. This next question has to do with the gradient operation. We know that in cylindrical coordinates, the gradient of a function is as follows:

∇U = [r-hat * (∂U/∂r)] + [ θ- hat * (1/r) * (∂U/∂θ)] + [z-hat * (∂U/∂z)]

Note: r-hat, θ-hat and z-hat are all just unit basis vectors.

Now my question is: Why is it (1/r) that is multiplied by θ-hat and (∂U/∂θ) instead of just being r? I know that the unit basis vector θ-hat is equal to eθ/r (where eθ is the original not normalized basis vector). It is for that reason that I would think that r would be in the place of (1/r). If that were the case, then the gradient vector would be expressed as a linear combination of all of the original basis vectors. However, (1/r) * θ-hat simply equals eθ/r2 , which doesn't seem like any special quantity to me. Why then is it (1/r) instead of just r? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
space-time said:
We know how in Cartesian coordinates, the dot product between a vector and itself (in other words A ⋅ A) is equal to the square of the magnitude |A|2. Well does this hold true in the general case as well for any coordinate system? If I do gμνAμAν, will that give me the square of the magnitude of the vector A?
This is the definition of the magnitude of a vector.

space-time said:
We know that in Cartesian coordinates, you can find a unit vector in the direction of any vector by dividing the vector by its magnitude ( in other words by doing this: A / |A| ). Can you use this same method to find said unit vector in any coordinate system (whether it be a set of orthogonal coordinates or curvilinear coordinates)?
Yes, this will always give you a unit vector. (You can easily show this by insertion.)

space-time said:
Why is it (1/r) that is multiplied by θ-hat and (∂U/∂θ) instead of just being r?
If it would be r, your result would be dimensionally inconsistent. I suggest you first write down the gradient in Cartesian coordinates and then transform the derivatives to polar coordinates using the chain rule
$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}
$$
and then write the Cartesian basis vectors in terms of the polar ones.

If you want to be more fancy, the partial derivatives (e.g., ##\partial_\theta U## etc) are not the components related to the tangent vector basis (given by ##\vec e_\theta = \partial \vec r/\partial \theta## etc). They are the components related to the covector basis given by ##\vec e^\theta = \nabla\theta## etc.

Edit: Note that the tangent vector and covector bases coincide for a Cartesian coordinate system. For this reason there is no need to distinguish them in a Cartesian system.

space-time said:
equals eθ/r2 , which doesn't seem like any special quantity to me.
It is a special quantity, it is the covector basis and is equal to ##\nabla \theta##.

1. What is the gradient of a scalar field?

The gradient of a scalar field is a vector that points in the direction of the greatest rate of change of the scalar quantity. It is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the scalar field with respect to each variable.

2. How is the gradient related to the directional derivative?

The gradient and directional derivative are closely related. The gradient provides the direction of the steepest increase of a scalar field, while the directional derivative gives the rate of change of the scalar field in a specific direction.

3. What is the scalar product of two vectors?

The scalar product, also known as the dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

4. How is the scalar product used in physics?

The scalar product is used in physics to calculate the work done by a force in a given direction. It is also used to determine the angle between two vectors and to calculate the projection of one vector onto another.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of the scalar product?

The scalar product has a geometric interpretation as the product of the length of one vector and the length of the projection of the other vector onto the first. It can also be interpreted as the area of a parallelogram formed by the two vectors.