Questions about modelling a sensor with a target wheel in Maxwell

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of modeling a crank sensor in Maxwell software. The sensor is made of a permanent magnet, pole piece, and coil, and is used to simulate the output signal while a flying wheel spins at a certain speed and distance away from the sensor. The Faraday's Law is used to set up the device, and the steps include selecting the right solver, creating the geometry and materials, setting up motion, defining mesh operations, and running the analysis. The conversation also mentions a tutorial available for further assistance.
CheyenneXia
Hi everyone,

I need to model a crank sensor with a flying wheel in Maxwell. Crank sensor is made of permenant magnet, pole piece (to concentrate the magnetic field), and coil. There is a space between the target wheel and the crank the sensor. What I have to do is to simulate the output signal from the coil while the flying wheel is spinning at certain speed and at a certain distance away from the sensor.

I am a new user of Maxwell. Up to now I know I could kindly simulate the wheel spinning by rotate certain angle. But still, I do not know how to simulate The Target Wheel's SPEED IN MAXWELL. Also, for this situation, how to put the excitation? As far as I understand, the magnetic source comes from the permenant magnet, because there is a relative motion between the wheel and the sensor, the coil has inducted current. Am I right? I select the winding and the coil terminal as the source. Am I right?

Thanks A LOT if anyone can help me.

Also, if someone have any tutorials about MAXWELL, please let me know. Up to now, I learn this software simply from the default examples and the online help. I have some experience in HFSS though.

Thanks,
Cheyenne

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cheyenne, I guess You have solved your problem so far ;) if not, here is my answer:

The principle of this device is the Faraday's Law (rotatnig field induces voltage in coil).
How to set this up ? In short..

1. Pick right solver. You have coil and rotation in model, you need to observe the signal.. only the Transient solver fits here.

2. Create the geometry. Assign materials (be careful when selecting the permanent magnet magnetic coercivity!). Set Eddy Effect in coil (Assign Excitation->Set Eddy Effect)

3. Set up motion. I use Maxwell v14 and I have option to set up a constant rotating speed or even a mechanical transient. I do not remeber how it was in earlier versions. Draw a circle (for 2D) or cylinder (for 3D) with rotating objects inside. Assign band to it (type-> Rotation, set up speed).

4. You have the coil.. You need to set up coil terminals (create a winding and add coil terminals to it) and external circut. Edit external circut in Maxwell Cicrut Editor. Create winding (name it the same as in Maxwell), grounding and whateever else You will need. Save it and export net list. Then you will need import the net list in Maxwell.

5. Define mesh operations on model. Air gap meshing is importand here. This step is quite hard, experience is essenial here.. You will need around 50k or more elements in an 'average' model for some good results.. up to 5 mil (complex), but it depends on computer, time, model geometry, needed accuracy..
(For first run use no mesh operations. See if it works).

6. Set up Analysis. Select start, stop time and time step. Choose wisely.. this will affect the accuracy of calculation but the time of simulation aswell. Set the time moment for which You want to save the solutions (Solve Setup->Save Fields)

7. Validate and run. It can take soem time, so be patient ;)

OK.. I guess that's all.. if not - ask

Ah yes.. the turtorial.. PM, i will send it to You

1. How can I model a sensor with a target wheel in Maxwell?

In order to model a sensor with a target wheel in Maxwell, you will need to use the Maxwell 3D software. This software allows you to create 3D models of electromagnetic systems, including sensors and target wheels. You can then use the simulation tools in Maxwell to analyze the behavior of the sensor and target wheel system.

2. What is the purpose of modelling a sensor with a target wheel in Maxwell?

Modelling a sensor with a target wheel in Maxwell allows you to simulate the behavior of the sensor in different scenarios. This can help you to optimize the design of the sensor and target wheel, and to understand how they will interact in real-world situations.

3. What factors should I consider when modelling a sensor with a target wheel in Maxwell?

When modelling a sensor with a target wheel in Maxwell, you should consider the materials and dimensions of the sensor and target wheel, as well as the distance between them and the speed at which the target wheel will be moving. These factors can greatly affect the electromagnetic fields and forces between the sensor and target wheel.

4. Can I model different types of sensors and target wheels in Maxwell?

Yes, you can model a variety of sensors and target wheels in Maxwell, including Hall effect sensors, inductive sensors, and magnetic sensors. You can also model different types of target wheels, such as toothed wheels, slotted wheels, and magnetic rings.

5. Is there a tutorial or guide available for modelling a sensor with a target wheel in Maxwell?

Yes, there are many tutorials and guides available for modelling a sensor with a target wheel in Maxwell. You can find these resources on the Maxwell website, as well as on various online forums and communities dedicated to electromagnetic simulation and modelling. Additionally, the Maxwell software itself has built-in tutorials and help guides to assist you in the modelling process.