Questions about motion equations

• Thread starter JustinTime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, Max Born's Einstein's Relativity discusses the study of motion and how it relates to velocity, which is measured as length divided by time (v=l/t). Born explains that to measure the exact velocity of a curving line on an xy plane, differential calculus is needed. He suggests imagining the curve as a polygon with straight sides representing uniform motions with definite velocities. The bends of the polygon represent sudden changes in velocity, with each bend occurring at equal intervals of time (T=1/n). Born uses a small capital "T" to signify a small interval of time. The "1" in T=1/n represents one bend, while "n" represents the number of bends per second. Born later introduces the variable "
JustinTime
In Max Born's Einstein's Relativity he has a part called "The Study of Motion--Rectilinear Motion He says that velocity has the dimension length divided by time (v=l/t). At one point he talks about a line on an xy plane curving, and says its motion is continually changing. To measure its exact velocity differential calculus is needed. "It is sufficient for us to imagine the continuous curve replaced by a polygon whose straight sides represent uniform motions with definite velocities. The bends of the polygon (that is, the sudden changes of velocity) may be supposed to succeed each other at equal intervals of time, say T=1/n" What I'm trying to type is T equals 1 divided by n. He uses a small capital (greek?) "T" which I understand to mean a small interval of time. Does the "1" represent one bend? What does "n" represent?

He later says "let each such change of velocity have the value w; then if there are n per sec. the total change of velocity per sec is nw per sec = w/t = b" The second part of my question is why is the change of velocity represented as "n" times "w" (nw) ?

Thanks,
JustinTime

Physics news on Phys.org
n is just the number of subdivisions in a second. If there are n subdivisions in a second, then each subdivision is T=1/n long. If the change in velocity per subdivision is w, the the change in velocity per second is that times the number of subdivisions in a second. wn.

Got it. Thank you!

What are the basic equations used to describe motion?

The basic equations used to describe motion are the equations of motion, which include displacement (Δx = xf - xi), velocity (v = Δx/Δt), and acceleration (a = Δv/Δt).

How do I calculate the initial velocity of an object?

To calculate the initial velocity of an object, you can use the equation vi = vf - at, where vi is the initial velocity, vf is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall rate of change in an object's position over a given time period, while instantaneous velocity is the rate of change at a specific moment in time.

How do I calculate the final velocity of an object?

To calculate the final velocity of an object, you can use the equation vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What is the equation for acceleration?

The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.